How To Peel A Banana | Teen Ink

How To Peel A Banana

February 25, 2010
By hyperactivemayfly PLATINUM, Arlington Heights, Illinois
hyperactivemayfly PLATINUM, Arlington Heights, Illinois
29 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Un ange frappe a ma porte
Est-ce que je le laisse entrer
Ce n'est pas toujours ma faute
Si les choses sont cassées
Le diable frappe a ma porte
Il demande a me parler
Il y a en moi toujours l'autre
Attiré par le danger"


The common yellow banana can be difficult to peel, but this method is fool-proof. Bananas actually grow upside down; what most believe to be the top (the stem) is actually the bottom. If one attempts to peel from the stem, those unpracticed at peeling bananas or with insufficient wrist strength find that this method can compress the top of the banana into an unattractive lump of mush. Thankfully, there are several different ways to peel bananas.

The ‘monkey’ method is the simplest and often portrayed in nature videos (hence, ‘monkey’). Grasp the banana around the middle with the thin stem pointing towards the ground, and push or pinch the black area on the part of the banana on top with your fingernail. Peel the skin downwards, towards the stem; and the banana is ready to eat.

Another but slightly more risky process is the ‘snap’ approach. Firmly hold a banana that is not too ripe so it forms a ‘u’ shape, and not an ‘n,’ with both hands. Twist your hands away from each other, or ‘snap’ the banana in half. If this is done quickly and correctly, the banana should be in two un-squished halves.
The ‘four splits’ concept is for people who are adept at using a knife without inflicting serious injuries on themselves. To cut/peel the fruit this way, take a sharp knife and cut the banana vertically. Hold the two long halves together and cut through the circumference of the middle. Now, the skin is easily removed; and one can eat the four pieces.
The ‘throwing’ procedure is also a bit chancy. The stem should be held in one fist so the banana curves towards you. Thrust the hand (and also the banana) away from you in a downward motion. The skin should have snapped the stem so the banana can be peeled normally. This process can backfire but works well if done right.
A way to peel under-ripe bananas is to position the fruit so the stem points downwards and pinch the end. It causes the banana to split, and it can then be easily peeled.
The ‘twist’ is a dicey technique that requires caution. Grip the banana in both hands; and without applying undue pressure give the banana a half or quarter twist, which should break the skin. The break can be used to peel the banana the rest of the way.
‘Slice and peel’ is another course of action that depends upon a knife. The fruit is clenched horizontally around the middle section, and both ends are cut off with the knife. The banana can now be peeled with a fingernail, or the skin can be cut with the knife.
Bananas are a tricky fruit to peel, and many more methods can be found to peel them. Caution should be exercised when using these tips; for when peeled incorrectly, the flesh of the banana is wont to splatter and is difficult to clean up. Other than that, bananas are a wonderful, healthy food.

The author's comments:
I can't peel bananas for the life of me. So I wrote this to help myself. I hope you get something out of it too.