Kaleidoscope | Teen Ink

Kaleidoscope

I am a kaleidoscope of emotions and moods.Of interests and hobbies.Of thoughts.Look through me and you will see something different each time.I will never fail to baffle you.

Others are not the only people I confuse.I cannot understand myself even after spending all those years locked up in my room, trying to figure out who,or rather,what I am.But I do not fit in any one stereotype or clique,and neither do I want to be.I cannot be classified as only a nerd,bookworm,emo or dramaqueen.I have a lot of traits of all these groups.There isn’t really a group for me.I am a medley of all these characteristics.

My crush told me that I’m confusing since I kept changing my mind.And he is right.That did not mean that I am mysterious, but simply that, well, I confuse him and am ‘weird’ as most people put it.

Some people are at one extreme, some in the middle and some at the other extreme.I am at both.I can be extremely sympathetic and emotional (Sometimes I cry during One Tree Hill as well!) at times, and cold and rude the rest of the time.I am both, quiet and talkative.Unsociable and gregarious.I am a control freak and organize my books according to different genres, but most of the time my room is a royal mess with stalagmites of books,papers and CDs.One minute I am laughing, and the next moment, I am enraged and in tears.I am not one colour but am made up of a rainbow of vibrant emotions.My moods are like a compass:they can take a 180 degree turn with change of of surrounding or situation.I contradict myself;it’s hard to figure out which adjectives completely define me.A few are:unpredictable,creative,introspective,moody and honest.

You can tell a lot about a person by looking at the type of music they listen to.But I like alternative,indie rock, gothic rock, classic rock, pop, RnB, hip hop, rap,classical,world or celtic,trance and even country.What can you say about me?The same is with books.If I were to be a book, I would be a miscellany written by Jodi Picoult,Simon Winchester,Khaled Hosseini, Stephenie Meyer,Sarah Addison Allen and Chitra Divakaruni together.Or maybe a teen magazine.Even my interests are as diverse and varied;a pot pouri of psychedelic colours.I like writing,music,fashion,celebrities,boys,facebook and myspace,exercising,watching movies,travelling,partying,thinking and reflecting and shopping.For this reason I have different groups of friends;with each I do and talk about different things.

Even though I cannot easily write a self portrait in class, I like my multi-coloured personality.I am not boring, but full of surprises.It is my different interests which enable me to talk to and get along with a variety of people.These do not make me Two Faced Harvey Dent, but an interesting person.Look through me and you will see dazzling and beautiful patterns of different interests,likes,moods and emotions all combined to form ME.

Well I've always tried to figure out what type of person I am.I keep thinking about that.The word kaleidoscope popped into my head and I thought that it describes how I am.I don't like the way people, especially teenagers, try to categorize everyone into cliques.Not everyone can fit into these stereotypes, and I'm glad I don't.

nature-elf PLATINUM, Ramsey, New Jersey

"If love is shelter, I'll walk in the rain." -Anonymous

The idea itself was great, as I can relate to this. But there are a lot of grammar mistakes (I mean, I make a lot of mistakes, but this is kind of the type where it's easily noticeable).

JusticeJohnson SILVER, Pine Junction, Colorado
Hey, I think it was a great peice of work, and if you continue writing, you'll be amazing!!!

Debaser12 said...
Please learn how to use the space bar.

kinza said...
i absolutely love this article and i think it is really creative but i accidentally rated it bad, but plz dont mind i didnt mean to do tht

Intresting said...
i think u r like a animal how change his color adopting surrounding and change him self to live in peace with his friends I am not the good writer but i hope i guess u right and express u in word

elishbah said...
heyy shanzeh i absolutely love this article, it's amazing! ure a great writer!! =)

Fatima said...
I loved your essay a lot. Keep writing!

Faizan said...
wow..the way you describe yourself is amazing!

Lizzie said...
The middle of the essay is the only part which can be read without much thinking. And by thinking I mean search of meaning and all. You put a lot of effort into writing something beautiful but you forget that sometimes, and mostly with established writers, profound pieces of literature come with a flow and don't have to steered to create impact or arouse appreciation.

Having said that, I apologize if you find that unrespectful. And yes of course, my favourite part. That is: " a royal mess with stalagmites of books". Cheers. Power to you.