Tuba Girl | Teen Ink

Tuba Girl MAG

Female tuba and sousaphone players, we’re a rare breed. In five years, I’ve only met two others. When people ask what I play, I proudly tell them. Their reaction is almost always either to nod, pretending to know what a sousaphone is (for the marching-band challenged, it’s that big brass instrument that wraps around the player’s body) and change the subject really fast, or they look surprised, size me up and exclaim, “You play tuba?” That gets me. I restate that I do indeed play tuba, and they say: “Well, you just don’t look like a tuba player.” What exactly does a tuba player look like? The usual answer I get is a big beefy guy with fat cheeks. I certainly don’t fit that image with my slim, 5'7" female physique. Sure, I might be a bit short for my tuba, but that doesn’t mean I can’t play it.

Why must people have these ideas about what others can and can’t do? Some think I should play something dainty, like a flute, and leave my tuba to the big boys. With the sousaphone, it’s all about mind over matter. My brother would put down a sousaphone long before I would, and he’s that big beefy kid. It’s not about how big and strong you are, endurance is the name of the game.

Besides, I like a challenge. Another misconception about tuba players is that we lack talent. Playing the tuba isn’t that easy to do. It requires a lot of training and practice. People fail to recognize the importance of the tuba to a band. Who doesn’t like a lot of bass in their music? Booming bass is practically the anthem of teenage drivers, shaking the world as they drive by. That’s what I’m there to give you, the bass, big and deep and full.

Try applying the story of my tuba, my sousaphone and me to your everyday life. Don’t jump to conclusions about people because of their appearance. Try not to stereotype or generalize and that way, you’ll won’t be surprised by that exception to the rule. Challenge yourself; if people were never willing to be different, there wouldn’t be any progress. One last thing - try to remember what a sousaphone is, so you won’t have to change the subject really fast.

CrayzayChild BRONZE, Guess, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Hi! I love this. I have played the trumpet for about 4 years, but switched to the tuba around February. I love it, and I’m the only one in my section, which makes me feel better than when I was constantly comparing myself to the other trumpet players. This is just about the only time I’ve ever heard of other girl tubists, although I’m aware that they do exist. I just haven’t heard about them individually. When my grandad found out that I played tuba, he said “only boys played tuba”. However, I love it. It makes me feel strong, special, and actually look forward towards band, and even school. I’m really short, and sorta chubby. I feel like I have started to develop my personality around the tuba. I scream in joy whenever I see one in a movie or picture. I constantly talk about tubas. I guess you could call it tuba fever. I’ve also learned how to be an independent musician, how to read bass clef, and that I should be patient and not give up (talking about the shoulder pain here). I named my tuba (it’s actually the school’s) frederthicc. Also I’m going to talk about playing the sousaphone. I have only played it a few times, and it was a very painful experience. However, it made me feel strong. And my favorite thing about myself playing it is that I’m a short person 5’2” and I like to think of my height disadvantage as an advantage. I can squeeze through doorways and the sousaphone makes me taller than everybody in the band. Anyways, I was really happy when I discovered this because it showed me that there’s people like me I guess. And I really need to go fangirl about playing the tuba. Because I absolutely love it. I may not be great, but I went from a self conscious trumpeter to a more confident tubist. Although I often think badly about myself, those thoughts drift away when I play the tuba, because it’s an awesome tuba. I’m sorry if you read through this, but also grateful because I need to convey my love for tuba to people, and I just haven’t found anybody to talk to about it yet. Sorry if I accidentally posted this twice

TubaGirl said...
Me too the funny thing is this year there are 6 girl tuba players in the 6th grade!

BassGirl said...
I play tuba int he 7th grade and next year I will be the only tuba player inthe whole grade and I start playing sousaphone next year!

TheMan said...
YASSSS! I'm going to use that case hiding trick next chance I get, I'm in 7th grade now so I can relate to being in 6th grade and tubaing

TheMan said...
I'm a skinny girl tuba/sousaphone player too! And proud of it! I can relate to this article, best of luck, I'll be Marching it in two years time too. My mother says "You need to start doing some serious push ups or there is no way you'll March tuba!" As I pick up someone 1 and 1/2 times my weight.

I'm 5'2" and I play sousaphone for my band during marching season. Other than that, I play tenor sax, and people always think I'm joking when I tell them I'm a tuba player. Come on guys, we don't need to fit the stereotype (beefy people) to play a brass bass!

Tubagirl13 said...
I'm a seventh grade 1st chair tuba player. Yay for Tuba girls everywhere!

You are so right!! I'm in 6th grade and I'm the only tuba player in the beginning band and I'm only five foot and I can fit in my own instrument case!! Good place to hide btw (if you can hide the tuba) best of luck to you

TubaLady DIAMOND, Athens, Michigan

"I know how it feels to be completely alone and helpless, and the last thing you want to hear in that situation is, 'It's going to be OK. ' The only thing that seems to really help is that someone else who has felt that low expressing those feelings"

So true! I'm a female tuba player and I've only met a handful of girls that play the instrument. And you're definitely right about the whole "don't judge someone by how they look" concept. (I wrote a poem about that, you should check it out. It's Don't Label Someone's Life.)

TubaQueen97 said...
Im a 10th grader and I'm one of 3 girls that has played tuba in my highschool. In 8 years of the school being open there has only been me and 2 other girls. The other 2 have quit so now I am the only one. Im not obese but not skinny either but people still look at me weird when I say I play the tuba.

Im in 9th grade and i started playing tuba in 7th grade and i was only 4ft 10 now at high school (and im 5ft2in)i am the only tuba player but the thing is i went from playing the flute to playing the tuba Go Tuba Players! (:

I'm a 10th grader...I play the tuba and Im 5 ft tall...after I started playing tuba every year there has been a girl the next year that has joined tuba which means out of the school there are 5 girl tuba players at my school!:)

BAMX said...
I would love an orange tuba!!!

music21297 said...
haha i'm a tuba girl, and its me and 8 other guys in marching band. so funn. anyone else ever have tuba parties??? its awkward since i'm the only girl ;)

Sorry- messed up my height. I'm 4'8''.