Science Fair Experience | Teen Ink

Science Fair Experience MAG

By Anonymous

   I have always loved science fairs. Most people groan and complain about the long research and experiments, but I always look forward to them. With most of my experiments I already knew what would result, but I was always thrilled when the experiment worked. Even when they went awry (which at times was rather humorous), it was fun trying to figure out where I went wrong. All in all, I think I must be a science person.

I entered my first science fair in sixth grade. This was a rather simple project and I was not too sure what to expect or what people were looking for. I went through the research and did my "experiment" which, in this case, was simply making paper. I liked my project and was happy with the amount of time and effort I put into it. The judges must have liked it too because I won third prize.

After that, I just kept winning. Each year since, I have received some type of award. The competition became more challenging, the experiments became more complex, and the research papers covered my topics in more depth. Despite this, I still looked forward to the fair each year and always attempted to do my best.

In my recent science fair during junior year, I achieved my greatest accomplishment: first place in the physical science category. I was extremely excited! I had worked long and hard on the project. I also learned many new things. Doing another project as good as that project was and winning first prize again this year is going to be very difficult. Since this is my last science fair in high school, I would like to finish with another first.

All these science fairs have had an impact on my life. If I had not done that first project back in sixth grade, I would not have realized how much I enjoy doing research projects and experiments. Also, by doing these yearly projects, I gained valuable experience in using the scientific method. Finally, I have realized how much I love science, the field I would like to enter as a career. u