Educator of the Year (2019) | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year (2019)

By jakejh PLATINUM, Murphysboro, Illinois
jakejh PLATINUM, Murphysboro, Illinois

Don't set boundaries for yourself.
Because building boundaries is only going to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Many teachers come to mind when someone mentions someone who deserves the title of an educator of the year. Despite my belief that every teacher deserves to be awarded the title, I believe that Jennifer Patterson literature and composition, creative writing, and independent reading teacher at Murphysboro High School should be recognized as an educator of the year.  She means a lot to me and other fellow students who haven’t even had her as a teacher. We believe that she is special for several different reasons. She is our definition of a teacher, a person who teaches us standard but has the ultimate goal of giving the students a sense of pride, ownership, and commitment to the future of our country. For example, she doesn’t just focus on the standard of the subjects she teaches, she encourages us to connect the in-class material to today’s society.  Secondly, she gives us the ability to accomplish the simplicity of our goals in life, to be successful. For instance, We would not be able to go throughout life without knowing how to write and without the creativity she inspires in all of us each day. Finally, she provides a safe environment for everyone. She knew that I was not straight, nor did she care if I was bisexual, gay, straight, or transgendered. She believes that you cannot judge people by their covers. As said above she is unbiased, she is welcoming and more importantly preparing her students for the future.   But no matter what, she will always be my “Educator of the Year.”