Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By emmafbryant BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
emmafbryant BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

When I walked into the Delaware Military Academy’s open house, I was greeted by many teachers. In one of the rooms, I met an intimidating man. What I didn’t know then was that I had just met one of the best teachers I’d ever have in my entire school career, Master Sergeant Howie. Master Sergeant is my naval science teacher, and what stands out to me about him is how he cares about his students, how he tries to make everything we do something we all can enjoy, and how he teaches us useful information to help us in different types of situations we may encounter in our individual lives. I could say more things about him, but these are the elements that stuck out the most.

Out of every teacher I’ve had I believe Master Sergeant takes the award for caring the most. I’m a person who tends to notice the little things people will do for your wellbeing and I’ve noticed some minute details with him. When it’s cold out, and we have to do drill, my NSI (naval science instructor) will tell us to “look for change in our pockets” so we can warm our hands up since we aren’t allowed to have them in our pockets. During our inspect

ions, we are standing there at attention, or at parade rest, for a long time. It’s not very comfortable standing like that for too long and knowing that he instructs our platoon leader to put us at rest which is a lot more comfortable in my opinion. They may seem like trivial acts, but they speak volumes in my opinion.

When it comes to thinking about school you’d probably see it as quite boring, what student doesn’t from time to time? However, with Master Sergeant’s class it’s almost impossible to imagine it being boring, especially on physical training days. On normal academic days we mostly sit in class and go over what we are learning at that point in time. It sounds boring, but it’s not like that at all. Master Sergeant will tell us interesting and funny stories relating to what we are talking about as well as making the lesson more interactive by holding open conversations or having us get up and do small activities. On PT days we do a wide variety of activities ranging from running, playing a sport like kickball, or just having free time in the gym. On any day of the week my naval science class is a great break from whatever stress I have, and I can thank my NSI for that.

Before coming to DMA I didn’t know how to possibly help someone who’s hurt nor did I know how to deal with the everyday stress, but now I can say I have a good understanding of it. Master Sergeant makes sure he teaches us as many life lessons as he can. He has taught us things like proper first aid and what to do with whatever ailment we are presented with, how to deal with stress, drug awareness, and self-defense among other things. Often our class will practice safety drills such as evaluating and treating victims and going through all the necessary safety drills like the fire drill and intruder drill. Master Sergeant provides us with hands-on learning when it comes to these lessons which is the best way to practice. You don’t see most teachers teaching this kind of stuff in schools, but they should be. I’m so grateful to be learning this information and these skills. I will be able to use this in my life going forward unlike some things you learn that may not benefit you in the long run. I can move through life as a more knowledgeable person than I could have if not for Master Sergeant’s class.

From caring so much about his students, to making class interesting each day while accompanied by his teaching of valuable lessons we will use for the rest of our lives, I truly believe that Master Sergeant Howie should win Educator of the Year. I don’t see why he shouldn’t be given this honor. He embodies what every teacher should be like. Overall, Master Sergeant is one of my favorite teachers at DMA and in general. This is why I have nominated Master Sergeant for this contest because he truly deserves it and so much more.