Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By tenniscourt001 GOLD, Dousman, Wisconsin
tenniscourt001 GOLD, Dousman, Wisconsin

One hundred twenty eight: the number of tennis lessons I completed with my coach, Alex Klass.

It started during the fall of my freshman year. As a freshman I didn’t make the varsity team. I pushed myself to improve to playing 1 singles on top JV. Throughout the season, my head filled with What if I’m not good enough next year? Why didn’t I make it this year? I need to get better! I have to make varsity next year!! I knew I had to do something. So I decided it was time to start private lessons.

From the beginning, I knew Alex as an ambitious person that would help me get to the point I needed to reach. Every lesson put a smile on my face like the kids on a McDonald’s commercial. They were fun and motivated me to excel.

Freshman year I wanted to fit in and have friends because in the past, I had been shy, making it difficult for me to make friends. That year I barely ate and exercised for at least two hours every day because I thought that would make me the ideal person for people to like. I never felt good enough and was constantly stressed about what I looked like and if people would like me. Thursday lessons were my escape. Alex has not only been an exceptional coach, but also a friend. Three years later, I can truthfully say Alex knows my life story.

“Don’t be like me, Courtney,” is one of the things Alex said when I told him I was going to give up on relationships. Alex gives me advice both on tennis and life. He listens to my stories and finds interest in my life. We have built such a good relationship, which is beneficial because I know I have someone I can trust. It makes it more fun and exciting to go to my lesson with him every Thursday and helps me to learn easier. It is important players have strong relationships with their coaches because it makes them more ampt to learn, which is exactly what Alex did for me.

Since I started lessons with him I have excelled an immense amount. I went from JV to the top of Varsity. He taught me my biggest strengths: power and topspin. He filled my toolbox with what I need for success. Throughout the lowest point of my life, my tennis elbow, he continued to fight through with me and help me get better. The pain was unbearable, but he encouraged me to fight and learn what I needed to achieve my goal. He noticed the pain steered me off track and he distracted me and redirected my focus back to tennis.

Lesson after lesson, we repeated the same drills and annoying things I thought were pointless, until I went out on the court in a match and realized I had advantages in my game to progressively outplay everyone. And over time I did.

I went from grinding and hitting the ball back as long as I could to hitting the ball with extreme power and placing it to put the point away. I felt more comfortable with all parts of my game and put on a show for everyone to see. I would say the people could see the numerous strategies and thoughts running around in my head as I repeatedly bounced the ball before going through the motions of my serve to begin each point.

From life to the tennis court, Alex has always been there for me. He has been exceedingly impactful in my life through both friendship and as a tennis coach. He has made me better as a person and a player and for that I am forever thankful. From my first lesson, where I was just a nervous little freshman with big dreams, to the amazing tennis player I have become 128 lessons later, Alex has been my guide. So thank you Alex for helping me in life and hopefully you can “help yourself,” as you always say.

This is about my tennis coach Alex Klass.