Unordinary Teachers | Teen Ink

Unordinary Teachers

April 5, 2019
By laurent10 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
laurent10 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Erica Savary and Eric Griedl are no oranday teachers. They are horse trainers and riding instructors that make dreams and goals possible. Not many people can say they have accomplished their dreams and goals. But me? I have—and the only reason is due to these two hard-working, inspiring, and loving people.

Eric and Erica are by biggest teaches and have formed me into the person I am today. They are family—my second parents. I have grown with them since I was four, and they have developed me into the best equestrian and best person that I could be. Without Erica and Eric I would be lost, unsure of who I am, and without my passion.

I cherish every moment with them. From working at horse shows, to staying at hotels and getting oodles of food, we always have fun (we tend to make up ridiculous things). Simple moments like these are what is important to me and why I look forward to show season and being at the barn. The moment I swing my leg over a horse I feel confident—powerful. I feel happiness—joy.

Horses teach me patience, forgiveness, and how to love. Every lesson that Eric and Erica teach me, it changes me to improve my growth. Even the smallest change has impacted the way I ride and how I become better.

On October 8th, 2013, I got my first show horse (an advanced level of competing). After competing in Academy (beginning show level of competing) for seven years, Erica and Eric found me the perfect first horse.

My parents and Erica knew I was ready for my first show horse—Royal Crests Mister Stone knows to us as Mac. Mac was short and stocky. He was a bright chestnut with a white blaze and had the kindest eyes that stole my heart.

Shortly after I got Mac, the smallest things would scare me so Erica knew she had to do something—and fast. After weeks of frustrating lessons, Erica pulled me into the middle of the arena to get on the horse with me. As she sat behind me, she told me things that made me feel more confident—and safe. Erica would tell me, “Start focusing, I know you have it in you.” With her perseverance and hard work ethic, I got though my funk and became better and better. They believed in me and knew that I had it in me.

After two years, Eric and Erica told me it was time for my next chapter. A new horse. They put me on “Henry Hudson” a timid gentle giant. No kid had ever competed with this horse, let alone a 14 year old. Impossible. People thought. Impossible. At my first show, curious people watched to see if this would really work out. It did. Trust was all it took along with the exciting ways Eric and Erica got this pair to work.

One of the biggest accomplishments of being a great rider is showing at The World Grand Championship Horse Show (held at the Kentucky State fair). The beginning of show season 2017 had not been going as planned and my horse was for sale. Eric and Erica knew I wanted to show at Louisville so they put there trust in me and let me catch ride Aussie.

With three classes and three wins, Aussie and I were ready to take on The Word Championships. Without Eric and Erica, this dream would have never been able to become a reality and I will forever thank them for this special opportunity. Being able to have the trust from my trainers to ride a horse that was not mine is one of the biggest compliments a rider can receive. It showed that I am capable—that they trust me. This motivated me to do my best and that I am good enough.

Eric and Erica are the most amazing people I have meet in my life. From making goal boards, to pushing me to my best potential (even if it seems impossible), together, they are the people that I look up to most. They have always taught me to dream big.