Educator | Teen Ink

Educator

November 19, 2019
By Rubberman SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Rubberman SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was in first grade and it halfway through the year when I got the news that we had to switch schools to Stone Bank School.  I was so scared I didn't know what to do, new people, new school and new teachers. But on my first day of the new schools there was someone who had the best greeting, who made me feel like it was all going to be fine.  He was the librarian. He showed me around the library and helped me find my Star War books that I liked. That was the start of my long relationship with Mr. Jaeger.

Time went by fast and through all that time we had a blast.  He had a summer club called clay and pottering. I signed up for that because I really liked working with clay.  He taught me the essentials that I will need for any kind of clay art. He never got mad or angry when I didn't do my work, he just said, “I would like for you to get this done so we can't glaze it.”  He taught me that I can get off track but I need to get back sometime.

He was always the recess watcher, I can't remember a time where he skipped that job.  He loved doing that and I could tell he did, he watched kids stories come undone. I think that was his favorite thing to do out of a lot of things he does in the school.  This impacted me by teaching me that the small things that might not seem fun can be different. Me and my friend Aidan would always come by him and talk the whole time. He never minded he loved it.  We would talk about music, today's problems, or the most random things.  

One of my favorite things that he did was he was an iMovie man.  After school I would create little stop motion animations in ninth hour( which was after school you could stay in the library for help).  When he had time he would come over and check on what I was doing. I showed him and he was amazed of what I had done. Which made me push myself harder in animation and give me the life lesson of always push your boundaries.

When I was in the harder times of middle schools of 6th, 7th, and 8th I never felt alone when he was near.  I never had to tell him about my problems that I had. He knew when I was down. So he let me take a quick break for a minute, then come back and talk about books or more legos he has for the animation.  This is one of his best characteristics, him cheering me up no matter what.

And for all of this I say thank you.  For teaching me life lessons and working hard for every student you come across.  May you have many more to come but till then remember the impact you will have Mr. Jaeger.