Educator of the year- Mr. Albers | Teen Ink

Educator of the year- Mr. Albers

November 17, 2008
By Lane Grigg GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lane Grigg GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As juniors and seniors, we are masters at spotting the good and boring teachers. We can practically tell the difference on the first day of school. Some teachers work exactly by the book and you can predict what events are going to take place that day. But every once in a while, a teacher comes along and makes class interesting. For me, that teacher is Mr. Albers.

There is never a dull moment in Mr. Albers class, from the hysterically long rants to the knowledgeable examples. I will always remember the video on the Asian carp that fly out of the water at amazing speeds and hit people while they are fishing. His lesson on Asian carp was not only funny, but educational because we learned Asian carp are becoming overpopulated in the United States. Mr. Albers was definitely enthusiastic about those fish.

His class is not all fun and games, though, as Environmental Biology has been the most educationally beneficial for me so far. He makes it easy for kids to get there work in on time by not giving daily homework. Instead, he gives special dates where all the assignments are due. This is especially good for me because I am not a daily homework kind of person and I tend to fall behind quickly if I miss an assignment.
If you want to learn about the environment, his class is the way to go. You learn all about species of trees and what goes on in the day to day life of that tree. Even though it sounds quite boring, Mr. Albers is definitely one of the key factors in keep the class fun.
Mr. Albers should be the teacher of the year because he has the skills, as well as the humor every teenager can appreciate.