Mr. David Ogg | Teen Ink

Mr. David Ogg

Fifth grade was supposed to be like any other year, but for me, it wasn't. I had just moved. What I would be met with that year I never could've imagined. Mr. Ogg was everything you could ask for in a teacher. He looked at every kid like he cared about them, and he did. I had selective mutism and depression, meaning I didn't say much, ever. But Mr. Ogg constantly interacted with me as if I was anyone else. He made me feel like I was human and worthy of more than a label. He taught me how to live with a passion, which for me, became writing. He told me my tear-stained homework was good enough after I spent nights crying over it and the emptiness of my heart. When I was desperate for validation, Mr. Ogg gave it to me.

When I was bleeding inside he said the things I needed to hear. At the time, I was having fairly dark thoughts, and Mr. Ogg was one of many wonderful people and family, however, the only educator, that kept me fighting. Slowly but surely, I developed a love for writing that year. I wrote on weekends and any spare time I had. I missed him more than words can say when I went to middle school the next year. I'd never got to tell him what he'd done for me which was the hardest part of it all. I thought about him every day that entire year and the first part of the next. However, life went on and at times I wish it hadn't. Midway through seventh grade, I started experiencing symptoms of bipolar. It was three months before I was hospitalized and six months before I was diagnosed. Through it all, and I mean this, writing saved my life. Every day, I spent in the hospital I spent writing, crying over the paper as I had so many years ago. That's when I realized one person I hadn't yet thought of, who saved my life. I wanted some way to thank him for what he had done. I wanted him to know what he'd done for me because had I not had my passion for writing, one of my reasons to live, I'm not sure I'd be here today. However, I am, and I'm here to say that Mr. Ogg is more than an educator. He is someone I aspire to be like, and a lifesaver with an inhuman capacity to care. I figured this way, he may know. this way, I may just be able to thank him for my ability to laugh, cry, and smile. Maybe I could thank him for my ability to breathe. Maybe I'd begin to return what he gifted me, in my darkest night. Nothing I say will ever do justice to Mr. Ogg, but I'll never forget him. After all, if you can't repay the person that saved your life, you'll certainly forget them.

ElaM ELITE said...
ElaM ELITE, Surrey, Columbia

“I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party; and I attended with my real face.” ~Franz Kafka

Sounds like an amazing teacher you have there @ChompChomp123 ! I really loved this article….