AURORA RAYO · MATH & BIOLOGY | Teen Ink

AURORA RAYO · MATH & BIOLOGY

March 29, 2023
By Lucy-G-Turpin SILVER, Palma, Other
Lucy-G-Turpin SILVER, Palma, Other
6 articles 4 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is a joke"


The beginning of the school year was a total chaos. As a student of third of ESO (obligatory secondary education) in Spain I had to adapt to the new methods of evaluating for the year due to a change in the educational law. Additionally, there were some complications with the faculty which made that our math and biology classes did not truly start until a few weeks later. Right now, however, about six months into the course, I am thankful for what happened, as this is how Aurora entered my life.


Ever since my first conscious thought I showed interest in the subject of biology, especially when the contents were related to the sea and everything connected to it. That’s why I became her fan from the very first instant Aurora strode into the class and said the following seven life-changing words: “biologist with special interest in marine biology”. I would be lying if I said a tear didn’t drop from my eyes at that moment.


From there on, my admiration for her classes and character just kept growing, which is not surprising in the least given that I have never met an educator who, after having explained several times the same topic, still answers the students’ questions with a smile on her face. With her, I can finally ask my doubts freely without feeling annoying. This is because she doesn't settle for us just understanding the concepts. Aurora stands warmhearted by our side until we are capable of explaining the mathematical issues on the blackboard to our classmates.


Furthermore, Aurora has broken ground in my school. She has taken three whole classes out on an excursion to a science exhibition and a teen math competition, that if it weren't for her, we would never have experienced. She showed us a movie to introduce a debate regarding equality in the world of science. She has organized a chat about sexual education and she has promised to give us a sign language class.


Nevertheless, Aurora, no matter how fascinating I believe her to be, she is still very much a human being. One that does not give up in the face of adversity. When she doesn’t know the answer to a very specific biological question, she looks it up on the internet and carries out research about the topic to answer it with as much precision the next time she sees us. However, the best thing by far about her is that, without ceasing to be professional and treating every topic, even the most weird ones, with a scientific view, she nevers loses charisma.


Humbly, I want to state that, whether for her kindness, her motivation or her nonstop search for answers, Aurora is definitely the best maths and biology teacher I could ever have.


The author's comments:

Been her student has been a honor. I will be lucky if I continue to have her as my teacher.