Cody Smith | Teen Ink

Cody Smith

By 4scott BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4scott BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

“We will help you out and cut down some fees.” Cody did this just so I would join his organization this year without having to do a tryout, and he offered me a spot on the top team right away. Life was becoming easier. My summer planned out ahead of me with the idea in mind that the coaches will get me a college baseball offer. 

Cody worked at Prospects Training Academy and now works at Midwest Halos. Cody helped my brother become very good and was fortunate enough to get him into tournaments where the best performers all play together and against each other on a different team. Cody was able to help our family out with baseball for so many years, we were fortunate enough to find him again and help me out for my future. 

I saw this opportunity as a one time thing and was willing to leave my current organization at the time and follow his path he is creating for me. 

Sophomore Summer. Another Summer. Fresh team, Fresh start, New coaching.  This summer was to get my name out there for people to look out for. Eventually, we got matched up against some top teams in the tournament in the semifinals. 

Semifinals meant the final four. These games were very difficult and competitive. Nothing was going to be easy for us from here on out. This team felt special from the beginning, meaning we can do big things together and make the top 100 list in the nation. 

Cody started off by saying; “Don’t worry about these colleges, teams, or rankings, just go out and be yourself, and you will get the attention you deserve.” After this conversation, the game had started and this meant all eyes were on the field with many people watching and coaches everywhere. 

Cody treated every one of his players like his own kids. Even though he already had two at the time and a wife to care for as well. The love he shows every kid and the passion he has for each of these kids playing just to see them make it to the next level. 

Cody helped me realize that not every game is meant to be your best and not meant to show out for the coaches. These games were meant to show your adversity and how well you can take the pressure of people watching to see if you're ready for the next level. At the time, I didn't think I was ready but, In my junior summer, I got the attention of coaches and tournament directors with some clutch hits or tough plays in the field. 

I realized Cody was right. Everything happens for a reason.  If you are trying too hard you tend to mess up more and that is what has stuck with me. Preserve through the tough times and be yourself, don’t let one thing be the outcome of your mood. In the end, my plan for college ball is to listen to coaching and try to become bigger and stronger and to also have fun while in there in college. If I can, it would be great to continue my path and make it to the next level with any sort of professional league or even higher division baseball.

He helped me learn to block out all the negative people and not worry about rankings in baseball since they don't mean as much and it's all about how you preform for yourself. He also helped me get to one of my dreams of playing college baseball at a Division 3 level and continue my athletics/academic career into college.