Mr. Pizzo | Teen Ink

Mr. Pizzo

All my life I have never been very good at learning in school. I wasn't the brightest kid; I actually didn't learn how to speak English until I was in the first grade because I only knew how to speak Hmong my first language. When I hit freshman year in high school, I gave up on trying learning in school anymore because I could not understand any of the work or readings my teachers gave me. Sophomore year, I was put in the study center so I could get extra help on my work, but I still didn't do well (even though I had made improvements.) I still failed some of my major classes. Then, I realized school wasn't for me.

This year, in my junior year, I am in Oasis. Oasis is a class for students who don't do well academically. My teacher Mr. Pizzo volunteered himself to be a teacher in this program. That shows me how much he cares for the students who do not do well in school. It shows he is committed to his students and his job. If he didn't want to, he wouldn't have to teach Oasis which is a last chance for students to graduate from high school.
Mr. Pizzo is one of the best teachers I ever had because of the way he teaches. When we are doing work and we don't understand it, he will explain everything to everyone so they can understand what we are supposed to do. The fact that he chose to teach a small class of students who don't do well in school over a full class of students who do very well, tells me he doesn't want to see anyone fail; he wants to see everyone succeed. To me, this is the definition of a great person, a person who cares for not just the students who do well but, also the students who don't do as well as the other students.
He has inspired me to actually want to come to school and learn everything that I can. He has showed me school is important and that I should always try my hardest even if I don't succeed. When I become an adult, I hope I can be at least half as great as Mr. PIzzo. He has taught me a lot about life and education.