Katie Enright: English and Art • Cache High School | Teen Ink

Katie Enright: English and Art • Cache High School MAG

By rosevomit BRONZE, Cornish, Utah
rosevomit BRONZE, Cornish, Utah

"Marijuana is bad." -Adults

I am writing this from a desktop in the living room of a residential treatment center, more commonly known as a group home. I do not go to school, but a teacher comes to the house every weekday to teach us two subjects, which change every six weeks. Currently they are English literature and art. I like school here. We read and write poetry and have recently read the books Z for Zachariah and Catching Spirit Bear.  School has always been a challenge for me, and I am trying to catch up on credits. I am in tenth grade, originally from Baltimore, Maryland, and now live in a small town in Utah. The point of this submission is not to have a pity party thrown in my name, but to honor and show my gratitude to my teacher.

At my old high school in Baltimore, there were 1,500 students, so I didn’t really have the luxury of knowing my teachers or having the special education plan I needed. But my current teacher customizes each of our classes so that we are challenged but not overwhelmed.

She doesn’t give us shortcuts in order to get us good grades. She doesn’t let the circuits in our brains sit still and gather dust; she keeps them spinning and stirring, always challenging us with a new problem or a new way of doing something.

Her teaching method is to tell us what the end goal of an assignment is and then allow us to make our own decisions on how to get there. She is always there throughout, not giving us the answers but encouraging us to find our own.

Recently, we had a group meeting because there had been some chaos in the house the previous night. The meeting was during our school time, so our teacher was there. One of the therapists brought up the system of checks and balances used in our government and asked if anybody knew about it. Another resident raised his hand and explained the judicial, executive, and legislative branches and how they worked. We had learned this two months before in class, and he remembered it perfectly. Our teacher was sitting a few feet behind him (I don’t think he knew), smiling and nodding her head.

She was so proud of him. She is so proud of him. She is so proud of us. She doesn’t care if we don’t draw perfect lines with amazing shadowing; she cares if we take our time and put all our effort into drawing.

If we are caught up with our classwork, we get to go on a field trip every Friday. Just today, we went to a nursing home to read our poetry. I read a slam poem I had written. I’m not sure if the older residents understood it, but their smiles told me they appreciated the effort.

I’m not planning on winning this essay contest, and even if I do, I won’t know, because e-mail to our group home is often blocked. I just wanted people to know about my teacher.

DarkTower GOLD said...
DarkTower GOLD, Littleton, Colorado

"In a sentence you can establish an idea. In a paragraph you can form a topic. In a page you can create a voice. In a hundred pages you can visualize a story. In a book you can inspire a passion."

Hey man, just keep your head up! I wish I had a person as wonderful as your teacher in my life!

rosevomit BRONZE, Cornish, Utah

"Marijuana is bad." -Adults

restriction

Prime BRONZE said...
Prime BRONZE, Cornish, Utah

Today is a great day to skate naked

Wow this is really sad a fell bad for you is sound like your life sucks. :}

PTsaxplayer GOLD, Boiling Springs, South Carolina

"I am as old as I've ever been, but I'm as young as I'll ever be." -Robert O'Neill

I just had to say WOW it is clear you have many personal struggles and I am happy to see you are willing to push through them.

rosevomit BRONZE, Cornish, Utah

"Marijuana is bad." -Adults

go away feeder you bum

Dorito said...
Dorito, Cornish, Utah

"You can't fix stupid." -One of the gym teachers at my junior high years ago

My fat butt approves.

rosevomit BRONZE, Cornish, Utah

"Marijuana is bad." -Adults

teen ink chat is blocked here yoo\\\

Mollyblueit said...
Mollyblueit, Little Rock, Arkansas

“I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom.”
― Edgar Allan Poe

I really like this. You should show this to your teacher. I'm sure shed appreciate it! Also, text me on here sometime. :)

XxFuzzyxX BRONZE, Lehi, Utah

You have to risk it to get the Biscuit

i like pie

XxFuzzyxX BRONZE, Lehi, Utah

You have to risk it to get the Biscuit

fart hahahahahahahaha hahahahaha i now know where you live have fun fart ): hhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dorito said...
Dorito, Cornish, Utah

Beautiful.