Mr. Tschanz | Teen Ink

Mr. Tschanz

October 6, 2015
By FishRisch GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
FishRisch GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Usually a teacher hands out an assignment on white copy paper in black font---not very exciting. However in both my junior semesters of Physics with Mr. Tschanz, I never received the same color paper for any assignment, quiz, and test. The paper wasn’t just red or blue, but instead Mr. Tschanz only used the most creative colors. Canary Yellow, Bagel, and Kermit Green. Each color was connected to a specific unit or concept, and this kept an unorganized me from losing important notes and homework. And just like the variety and interest the color paper sparked my interest, he did the same in teaching Physics.


Physics is full of formulas. That is what drives the class. But what Mr. T did like no other teacher was create real life demonstrations. During our unit on pendulums, Mr. Tschanz hung a bowling ball from rope at the front of the room to demonstrate the days concept (unrealistic) but effective.


My favorite demonstration was done when we were studying centripetal force. He told us he was going to do donuts in the parking lot to demonstrate the direction of force. When the video began, we expected to see a professional driver burning rubber but instead were surprised to see a video of Mr. T doing circles in his car at about 10 mph. Funny and entertaining, the demonstration will forever remind me the direction of centripetal force.


Physics was boring for almost all physics students--they hated it. But the kids in Mr. Tschanz class experienced the opposite. Mr. Tschanz spiced things by adding a lab challenge at the end of each unit. They were almost impossible tasks that could only be accomplished using the concepts we had learned in that unit. We spent days shooting marbles into spinning cups and crashing toy cars for half a test grade! While complicated and difficult we managed to explore the world of physics in a much more enjoyable way without the stress and anxiety of a long test.


Mr. T. liked to make class fast pace. We didn't sit in our seats for more than 15 mins every class. Mr. Tschanz created activity after activity to demonstrate the laws of physics. We made sin waves using sand and used springs as long as the classroom to learn about nodes.


However sometimes fast paced made things hard. Missing class would set you back and create a gap between what you and the class had learned. I missed a day of school for a football game. The day I returned, I had no idea what he was talking about. I left class 15 minutes late however with a full understanding of the concept. Mr. Tschanz caught me up in a matter of moments. He explained the concept showed me a quick demo and I was out the door. He never failed to help out any other student or me.


I still remember him asking me about my electronics project and how he actually took an interest in my mess of wires that made a light flash at different times. He actually took an interest in what students were doing outside of his class room. Mr. Tschanz taught my tenth hour physics class but always wanted to know more than if we understood the concepts or not.


This nomination essay should probably be printed in some crazy color as Mr. Tschanz would have wanted. But what he probably really would want me to do is before I submit it would be to come up with a crazy name to describe whatever color it was. I am nominating Mr. Tschanz for Teacher of the month for his ability to keep kids organized, engaged, and actually have an interest in them.