Mrs. Averell | Teen Ink

Mrs. Averell

By JustinMcGee BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
JustinMcGee BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware

Before I even had Mrs. Averell’s science class, I heard from friends who had taken her class already that she was truly a great teacher.  She was a great teacher.  Everyone would say “I love her” and “she’s the nicest teacher I have”.  These comments gave me very high expectations for her, and she most definitely exceeded them.  She has such a great teaching style and is all around a very nice person.   She cares about each and every one of her students and especially our safety. 
The first day of class she went over safety rules the whole time.  By the first few minutes I could tell she sincerely cared about her students and our safety very much.  On the first quiz she even incorporated some of the safety rules so we would not forget them.  She had written her contact information on the board, so if we ever needed help, we could get in touch with her which I have used to contact her for homework questions on multiple occasions, and she quickly responded with answers.
Mrs. Averell has a perfect style of teaching.  She is always honest to you.  If she knows the day is going to be a little less interactive, she will warn us in the beginning of class, and if it is going to be a fun day with lots of experiments and “playing”, she will tell us.  Even the boring days are not boring by any means.  They just entail more notes than experiments.  When we take notes, she always tries to help us by having us write down the least amount of information as possible, while still learning the material.  Not many teachers do this as well as Mrs. Averell.
Having school start at 7:20 in the morning is not easy.  Mrs. Averell is the main reason why I am not tired my first few periods.  I have science first block, and I am always feeling wide awake minutes into the lesson.  It is either because I am doing an experiment that requires my full attention, or she is teaching new material, and I suddenly become very interested. 
Mrs. Averell is my favorite high school teacher, and that is why I am nominating her for the educator of the year contest.  She cares about all of her students and always thinks about our safety first.  If I didn’t have science in my schedule, I do not think I could survive an average school day.  That class always makes my mornings better, and Mrs. Averell is a huge reason for that.