Everlasting Impact | Teen Ink

Everlasting Impact

March 23, 2009
By Allison Hammond BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
Allison Hammond BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

She treats each student like a gem, and during the year, the gems become polished and find their own uniqueness. She teaches those gems confidence, intelligence, and kindness that will live on in them forever.
Television shows like Boy Meets World portray teachers in a light seemingly impossible to reach. This show has a teacher who students rely on in and outside of school; he teaches his students skills that will be useful in the real world. It is almost impossible to find that one of a kind teacher who has the qualities that Mr. Feeney on Boy Meets World portrays. However, that teacher can be found, and I found her.
Miss Anne Carol Wood teaches fourth and fifth grade at Nuckols Farm Elementary School in Henrico County, Virginia. There is not one student that she has not had a positive impact on, which is not something that can be said for most teachers. Miss Wood makes her class enjoyable, interacts with students, and inspires confidence. Every student obtains the foundation necessary in order to become an honest, good person, and that is what truly matters in acquiring an elementary education.
As Miss Wood’s student, I learned far more than students in other classes did. Through projects and kickball games, we learned how to work as a team to get the work done or in order to win the game. Through the debates about the American Revolution, we were taught confidence as we had to defend our arguments to the class. As we became closer as a class, we learned the true meanings of friendship and kindness because we worked together on projects, played together at recess every day, and we were really like a family. She gave us the essential qualities needed to reach our goals and grow as human beings. Her class consisted of much more than a regular fourth grade curriculum. On top of that, the fact that I am in tenth grade and recalling her class, speaks of an extraordinary impact.
I can draw many parallels after having Miss Wood and seeing Mr. Feeney on Boy Meets World. Both have interaction with the students outside of the classroom. Both have students who come to them for advice. Both are there for their students above all else. Both give their students the necessary ingredients to begin a positive life. While a student can only have Miss Wood for two years, the time that she is your teacher is everything. No one has had a bigger impact on her students than Miss Wood, and I am incredibly grateful to have had her in my life because I know the life skills she taught will always be with me.
I do not know where I am going to be in five or ten years. However, I know that above all, I am going to be a good person who goes after her goals and never gives up because having Miss Wood as my fourth grade teacher impacted everything.
She took the gems into her classroom and polished them until each had the ability to become who they were meant to be. The lessons and skills she taught them, though, would continue to live on in them forever.