Mrs. Terri Carnell | Teen Ink

Mrs. Terri Carnell

By mitter5 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
mitter5 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Nothing is so insufferable to man as to be completely at rest, without passions, without business, without diversion, without study. He then feels his nothingness, his forlornness, his insufficiency, his dependence, his weakness, his emptiness. There will immediately rise from the depth of his heart weariness, gloom, sadness, fretfulness, vexation, despair.
Blaise Pascal

Every year we get to bond with our teachers. Some we like. Some we don’t. But one teacher stood out above all the others. I guarantee I am not the only one who thought so. Mrs. Terri Carnell is the one who could change nearly anyone around. She has a structured class, but does not run it by strict time limits and rules. In English, which is boring for many, she adds new life and gets in tune with each student’s writing level. And you do not know nice until you have met her. She has the patience of a saint and the sense of humor. She has a bright smile for almost every situation and always looks for opportunities to answer our questions.

Coming to her class as a sophomore, I was an underclassman in a room full of upperclassmen. It was intimidating. She introduced herself in detail the first day with enough excitement to fill the room. Then, she allowed us to introduce ourselves. When it was my turn, she could tell I was unaccustomed to classes like this and she helped me adjust. Never having been in any higher level course or dealing with things like college essays and short stories. I was at a loss. But she wouldn’t allow me to be so for long.
Our first assignment was of the utmost importance, considering it was the essay we would be sending to colleges for admittance. Her understanding importance of this work only emphasized how cool of a teacher she was. She knew the class was having trouble finding inspiration, so she gathered examples from past years and planned activities to promote creativity. In the end, she even bent timelines for the due dates on our projects. She pushed us to reflect on our previous papers and to see the significant development we had undergone in throughout the semester. This simple fact and her use of time opened not only my eyes, but the eyes of the class as well. She was proud of us and showed it through her limitless compliments.
She personalized every class so we could feel comfortable, but focused. To me, she has been a motivator in keeping me writing and has had a positive input in my works. She even decided to use one of my papers as an example for future classes, which in anyone’s eyes is something to be proud of.

I still run into her occasionally and we always have time to talk. She is still just as happy and kind as ever. She deserves this award, not just for her sense of morals, but also because she lightens any room and teaches a new lesson in life and literature every day. She respects abilities and strives to teach students the importance of writing.