The Life of Muhammed 'The Greatest' Ali | Teen Ink

The Life of Muhammed 'The Greatest' Ali

July 20, 2023
By atiyah115 SILVER, London, Other
atiyah115 SILVER, London, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
'If you go chasing butterflies, they'll just fly away. But if you spend time creating a beautiful garden, the butterflies will come to you. And even if they don't, you'll still have a beautiful garden.'


3...2…1 KO! Muhammed Ali heard the sound of the victory bell 56 times in the ring ; 37 of them being knockouts. With only 5 losses (61 fights in total), an Olympic Gold Medal and about $80 million in the bank, it’s not surprising that Muhammed Ali was known as ‘The Greatest’.


Born as Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr on the 17th January 1942, he was given the same name as his father, a name that had originally belonged to a slavery-abolitionist. January 17th is now celebrated as Muhammed Ali day in his home state of Illinois, America!

In October 1954, Ali’s bike was stolen. Ali vowed to ‘pummel’  the person who stole his bike and a boxing coach in the area offered to teach him how. 


After only 6 weeks of training Ali won his first bout, and just 6 years after that, at the age of 18, Ali won an Olympic gold in the light heavyweight boxing division. Many claim that Ali threw his gold Olympic medal into a river, in protest of the racism he faced back home, even after becoming a ‘national treasure’. Ali was given a new medal in 1996, but his original could still be swimming with the fishes! 


Well-known for his poetry skills and quick tongue, Ali actually recorded a comedy spoken word album in 1963 called ‘I am the Greatest’, which also includes Ali singing covers of well-known songs. 

The following year, on March 6th, 1964 Ali converted to Islam and changed his name from Cassius Clay Jr to Muhammed Ali. Then, on the 25th of May, 1965, Ali beat Sonny Liston, winning his first championship and $630,000. Ironically, the gloves Ali wore to beat Liston actually sold for $836,000  - $200,000 more than Ali won for the win. 


In 1967, Ali refused to fight in the Vietnamese War for religious reasons. He was given a 3 year boxing ban as a result. Although Ali was unable to box, it didn’t stop him embracing new opportunities. Whilst he was banned, Ali starred in a Broadway musical called ‘Buck White’. The show was cancelled after just four nights, however it’s said Ali was actually very good. One review says that ‘He sings with a pleasant slightly impersonal voice, acts without embarrassment and moves with innate dignity’. Who knows, maybe in another world Ali was the next Broadway star!


Unfortunately, Ali passed away on 3rd June, 2016. It is believed that his great-grandfather had Irish blood, but it takes a lot more than just blood to be a superstar boxer. Ali will forever be remembered as ‘the Greatest’.