Race of Faith | Teen Ink

Race of Faith

By EquineWriter BRONZE, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
EquineWriter BRONZE, Mullica Hill, New Jersey

I could have chosen my hero just for his athletic abilities, but I realized that he had something more important than that. Eric Liddell had a strong love and devotion for God. He was born in 1902 to two Scottish missionaries in China. Eric and his brother Robert attended a school in Scotland that not only had a good academic program but it also trained them in competitive sports for learning good sportsmanship. Robert and Eric Liddell exceedingly enjoyed and excelled in this sports program. Both brothers graduated and went to the Edinburgh University to study Pure Science, where Eric joined the rugby and running teams. When Eric Liddell grew older, he enhanced his ability in sprinting to the level of the Olympics.

As Liddell grew swifter in running, he also grew as a Christian by serving and loving God. Since Liddell had already become famous for winning races at the university, his popularity attracted people when he spoke at churches and evangelistic meetings. Before graduating from college, officials of the Olympics asked Liddell to participate in the 1924 Paris Olympics and Liddell happily agreed. Officials devastated Eric when they informed him that the race was on a Sunday. Because of his strong devotion to God, Eric chose not to participate, but they let Liddell run in a different race on another day since there was an opening. God rewarded him by miraculously allowing him to win in a race for which he had not been trained. All of this shows to me that even though Eric was an amazing athlete, he used his abilities to glorify God and not for himself, for he knew that God should always come first in his life.

Eric Liddell, a hero to me, shows that everything we do should be for the honor and glory of God. Colossians 3:17 says ,”And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” Liddell certainly followed that verse throughout his life, as evidence by his actions. His humbleness, selflessness, and Christ-centeredness make him a hero to me. When I look at my life, I ponder whether I am using all my talents for my glory or His. Although Liddell struggled with how to use his gifts, I see that he tried his best to put God first and to glorify Him with his talents. I learn from his example that I need to give all the glory to God because He is the one who gave me my talents.