Being the Best | Teen Ink

Being the Best

March 14, 2008
By Anonymous

My hero is someone who I admire because of something that he has accomplished. That person is Mick Fanning. He is a professional surfer from Coolangatta, Australia, who has always struggled to be at the top of the best competitive surfers in the world. In the past few years Mick’s view of competitive surfing has changed considerably. He was partying and coming distracted before and during events. This year though, he has been extremely focused and determined in each event, which can obviously be pointed out. The ‘new’ Mick is someone I hope that I will look at and admire and thrive to follow.


He is one of the most dedicated surfers on the World Championship Tour (WCT, which consists of the top 45 surfers in the world) this year. His change in character and choice has led Fanning to the number one rated surfer as of today. Mick Fanning is Australia’s hope this year for the World Title. No Australian has won the World Title for 10 years, and Fanning is Australia’s hope. His fitness and training has brought him to the next level this year and hopefully it will stay like that for a long time because I really think that he deserves to be one of the best in the world. Mick is an extremely loyal person to his sponsors; DHD, Rip Curl, Reef Footwear, Dragon Optics, Creatures of Leisure, and Red Bull by being on their teams for about 10 years each.


To qualify for the WCT, it sometimes takes years of surfing contest in bad waves on the qualifying series to get a high enough rating to be on the WCT. Just for being on the Championship Tour makes you one of the most respected and best 45 surfers in the world. The goals that Mick Fanning has hoped to accomplish are winning the world title this year and for many more years to come. Mick Fanning is definitely an admirable person to me for all these things he has changed in his life and done better.


Resources

http://mickfanning.com