My Rather Unique Step-Dad | Teen Ink

My Rather Unique Step-Dad

January 30, 2014
By Jakob Kenyon BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
Jakob Kenyon BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Lloyd has been a good person and a very much needed inspiration to me for the 4 years that I have known him for. He also has been the annoying, detail picking, talkative and overly critical person I have been trying to get used to. He is kind, thoughtful, and funny; yet annoying and hard to work with.

I was 10 or 11 years old when we first met and my first thought was that he was going to care less about me and more about my mother; however, I was wrong. Instead he helped us (me and my mom) get an apartment while we were still living in Washington (NOT Washington DC) and helped me in school. When I first saw him, he was a tall, large, round, heavy and strong person; he has not changed much other that gaining a little weight, though. He promised me that he was going to be the father that was not there with me all the time since he and my mom got divorced when I was roughly 4-5 years old. While he was still helping us, he helped me with school by helping me in math and english since back then, I had nothing to look forward to, so I never did any work.

When my school year was over in Washington, we began moving our stuff from our apartment to Lloyd’s house here in Mundelein. His house is small yet cozy, so it was no big deal. He got me enrolled into middle school and got me on the bus list. While I was in middle school, when ever I was struggling, he would help me through it by taking the time out of his day to tutor me and would tell me to “Get ‘er done” or “Try your best and believe in yourself”. He always, ALWAYS is looking at my grades on powerschool and constantly pestered me when any of them fell.

Lloyd still helps me when I need help and he still uses that stupid phrase, “Get ‘er done”, whenever I need to do something. He is very strict when it comes to my grades and is still always watching. Also I have learned that he can’t separate reality from fiction, so I can't watch a movie with him (like the wizard of oz, alice in wonderland, Narnia and other fantasy, sci-fi or action movies in general) in the room or else he will get anxious or will insult the unlikelihood of the events that are happening, also he is a big baby when it comes to scary movies. He is really talkative and will come out of nowhere and will start talking about something you could care less about; worst part is, he does it while you're in the middle of something, it’s really annoying. Lloyd will also “try” to make a joke out of everything that you say, for example: when I told my mom how I met a new friend who happened to be female, he heard about it and told me “Awww, how cute, Jakob’s got a girl that he likes!” and this was very embarrassing since he does it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Lloyd is the step-dad that I have been needing in my life; however, he is also the headache I didn’t need, even though he is helping me.