My Dance Teacher | Teen Ink

My Dance Teacher

September 10, 2014
By EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
81 articles 5 photos 1486 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.


So, Teen Ink said that you can write about which teacher has inspired you and helped me. I'm going to tell you or write, about one of and what my dance teachers and director has helped me and inspired me. 

There are so many things, that my dance teacher and director has helped me with and inspired me to be, that I almost don't know where to start. I guess, I'll start here. 

 

 

She inspired me to be myself. She told me to never apologize for being myself, when I apologized, not knowing I was apologizing for being myself; for being me.  She gave me the choice and chance to be myself, and I thank her for that. For now, I have started this year, being myself. Being the person, that God created me to be. 

She pushed me gently but firmly; she expected a lot from me, and when she first started teaching me and expecting a lot from me, I was rather shocked and rather angry, a little. Because at that time, I didn't think I could do anything right. I thought I couldn't do "a lot." 

But she didn't give up; she gently and firmly pushed me, to do more. She was and is one of the people, who have pushed me to believe in myself. She believed that I could do more, when I didn't at that time. She believed that I could do more.
 
She expected a lot from me, when I thought I didn't have a lot to give. So in return, I tried to work hard, after those feelings kind of passed.

 

 

Though, that sometimes didn't always work, me working harder in dance, because I was trying to work harder in life too. But I was able to do it, I was able to work hard. 

She told me to embrace my mistakes. She told me that I wasn't invisible, even if I wanted to be, because back then it was one of my goals, to blend in and just disappear and be invisible.

I wanted to be invisible because I thought I didn't fit in; I thought I was outside. But then she gave me another piece of truth and advice: "You will be outside, if you stay outside. "

 

 

So I started going inside, little by little, afraid because I had been outside for awhile. But now, I'm inside; going inside more and more. 

My dance teacher and director pushed me gently, to do more. She made me see, that I was capable to do more if I just tried. I had no idea I was capable of doing, until she made me try. She was telling me silently, every time she pushed me gently, "You have no idea what you're capable of until you try." She made me try.

 

 

My dance teacher and director inspired me and helped me to be myself, to never say sorry for who I am, to try and learn from my mistakes, to believe in myself, and to fight for what I believe in. I owe her a lot; and thank you, is all I can say. 

 

 

Thank you.


The author's comments:

My dance teacher and director has been and is one of the few people, who has helped me believe in myself and just all in all, help me. That is all I can say. I just wanted to write this down, and say it all. My dance teacher and director is one of my heroes.