A Thank You Letter | Teen Ink

A Thank You Letter

May 13, 2015
By SaraCattt PLATINUM, Shelton, Washington
SaraCattt PLATINUM, Shelton, Washington
34 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams."- The Eleventh Doctor


          To My English Teacher, 

     Thank you.

     I don’t imagine you comprehend what that means. I’ll go into detail.

     Thank you for influencing me to write.

     Thank you for compelling me to work persistently, and diligently.

     Thank you for encouraging me to continue, even when I struggled through the deprivation of motivation.

     Thank you for the things you said to guide my improvement. 

     Thank you for letting me barrage you with teasing words, and thank you for returning the favor.

     Thank you for continuing to force our track team to run lines on the field when a discus was left out, even when I begged you to stop, and told you I’d write a 10 page essay about track.

     Thank you for accepting my 20 page essay the next day, in comic sans (because I know you hate that font) and in Swedish (I said it’d be bad.)

     Thank you for your diligence, patience, and vigilance.

     Thank you for telling me that if I wanted to get published, I’d have to keep trying, that I’d genuinely have to want a piece to be read by others.

     Thank you for letting me spend 15 minutes finding a book in your in-class library.

     Thank you for suggesting a book after 16 minutes or searching.

     Thank you for knowing exactly the kind of books I subconsciously wanted to read.

     Thank you for respecting my request that you don’t read over my shoulder.

     Thank you for having your moments when you truly were inspiring.

     Thank you. No really, thank you.

     I have improved a seemingly perpetual amount over the last two years. I would be exactly where I started if you hadn’t been the one to tell me I should try doing “this” and to work on “that.”

     Eight months ago, I didn’t know I wanted to be published until you said: “If any of my students get published in a magazine, or win a writing contest, I will buy them their first fountain pen.”

     I can’t thank you enough. This little piece will never fully encompass how much you’ve done. Congratulations, you have set the Worlds Highest Standard for English Teachers.
  
    Sincerely,

         A Forever Indebted Student.


The author's comments:

    If I could pick one piece to get published, it would undoubtedly be this one. Everything my English teacher has done to help me improve not only as a writer, but as a person, will forever leave me in his debt.

    I would be absolutely honored if this was the piece he read in the Teen Ink magazine. Graduation is coming up, and I know I'll never have another teacher that has helped me as much as he has to realize that writing truly is and always will be my passion.