Welcome Home! | Teen Ink

Welcome Home!

By towmator16 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
towmator16 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Welcome home. I can’t imagine not being welcomed home by even your own family. You did not deserve the reaction you received when you returned from Vietnam. Soldiers were not able to choose whether they got drafted or not, so the way others treated you was utterly disrespectful. You couldn’t choose your future. Which is why you deserve to be welcomed home.

I am a senior in high school. One of my grandparents serve in the Vietnam War, so I am able to connect to the struggles and honor you were experienced. The hardship of training, the scarce amounts of food, and the living conditions make me appreciate the roof over my head and the delicious food even more. If it weren’t for you, this country would not be where it is today. I appreciate all of the long, hard, and exhausting years you have put into the military.

I know that I am a very proud granddaughter and I hope your family will be too. Serving for our country is no easy task. So I just want to say again welcome home.

I was able to visit the memorial in Washington D.C a few times. It is one of the most amazing places. It made me shed tears for the realization that you were able to put your life in front of mine so that I would be able to live the way I do.  I am blessed with the ability to freely do things I wish. If it wasn’t for you, this wouldn’t be case.

What was the experience like for you when you served? How many people served with you during your time? Why did you choose to serve? 

I know you have had the most amazing time on this trip. Once you step foot off that plane back home, i hope you get the welcome home and thank yous you deserved so many years ago. I just wanted to thank you again for the hard work you have put into this country and say again, welcome home.