Humans of Parsippany | Teen Ink

Humans of Parsippany

February 5, 2024
By Anonymous

     “A lot of times you hear the phrase, ‘your past doesn’t define you’, and in certain contexts that’s true. But it molded you, and it made you who you are, for better or worse. That's your perspective, and knowledge, and education; it comes from your past. But, I feel like my past took a lot away from me. I regret not standing up for myself. I feel like if I was taught, or if I learned to stand and speak up when I was being taken advantage of, it would’ve healed me and saved me a lot of time. Complacent, passive, young, naive; I am actively working on unlearning behaviors of my past. What was mine was mine. I’m older now. Much stronger now. I’ve learned from it, now knowing that I can stand up for my life and the life that I want. I have a roof over my head. I have a community. I have friends. Knowing that has rooted me to authentically and unapologetically be myself. Even though my past has made me a tad bitter, resentful, or a little bit selfish, I just know that the negatives of my life is going to be fruit for someone else's, whoever it may be, and that it’s just going to take time to see it. Though my past defines me, it’s a beautiful thing, and it’s created me and molded me. I am learning from it, and that’s the best thing you could do with it.”


(Bergenfield, New Jersey)


Interviewed By: Diya Johney


The author's comments:

Inspired by the Humans of New York, this was an interview with a person in New Jersey.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.