Humans of Parsippany | Teen Ink

Humans of Parsippany

By aarna_d BRONZE, Parsipanny, New Jersey
aarna_d BRONZE, Parsipanny, New Jersey

“It was a difficult childhood. One time, my parents went somewhere in the car and got into a brutal car accident. They passed away. I was only 3 years. My older brother, 6 years. My younger sister, 6 months. After that, my grandma took us under her care. My grandma used to tell tales of our parents. I was fond of it. I liked hearing what it would’ve been like to know my parents. I have this small photo of my parents. I keep it close to me and I treasure it. Essentially, it is almost like the last piece of them I have with me. My biggest fear was having it fade away a little bit every year, like slowly watching the last piece of your parents vanish and just wash away. But everytime I see you, I see a bit of the face of my parents. You are like my physical, living version of this photo. You know, nobody expects to lose their parents in car accidents at 3. That’s why, spend time with your nearest loved ones. You don’t know how long you have with them. We can do everything, simply anything as long as we’re together. I was scared of cars since I associated it with as villain that killed my parents. But I’d let you drive me all around the world.” (Parsippany, New Jersey) 

Inspired by the Humans of New York blog. This was a project for my 8th grade English class. I sat down to interview my grandma.