How to Play Baseball | Teen Ink

How to Play Baseball

Crack.The ball flies towards right field everybody stops and stares. PJ Hamel (17-year-old high school student from Hartland Wisconsin) hits a grand slam to give his team the lead. Hamel  has been playing baseball since he was five, playing tee ball and catching with his dad, who played college baseball. He is now a catcher for his varsity baseball team.

“It's mostly mental,” PJ said. He talks about how determination is a huge part of baseball, never giving up even when things are going south. PJ talked about how sometimes he's not mentally “dialed in,” and how that can affect his game. You have to be dialed in from the word go to ensure you're playing your best game. He listens to “ Travis Scott” to help get himself mentally prepared to play, getting his mind cleared for the game. 

PJ plays with friends and teammates all over the world, playing travel baseball since he was 12. He has traveled as far as Kansas city Missouri to play in tournaments. He also watches a lot of baseball as he aspires to be like Christopher Morel (outfielder for the Chicago Cubs). PJ is trying to reach his goals of playing college baseball just like his dad before him.

I am a high schools student who wrote this in my composition class for a project.