How To Trick The Brain to Remember Anything | Teen Ink

How To Trick The Brain to Remember Anything

February 13, 2024
By 5zirgibelj BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5zirgibelj BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“The ability to take in information and imprint it into your memory is created from your will to practice,” says Gabriel Wolfer, 17, an expert on taking in information and remembering it at an unbelievable rate. Wolfer’s will to memorize information origins from his 9th grade science final, where he needed a 98 percent to keep his grade in the class. Wolfer’s need for the highest score possible created a craving inside him to perform. All he wanted was to get a B in his first year science class that would set the tone for the rest of his high school career. 

“First, you need to write down everything you already know about the topic you need to learn, the most effective thing you can do is identify the key parts you don’t know.” 

“Next, you need to chunk all of the information you don’t know into small subsections you can remember by key words or category names.” Wolfer makes it clear that to learn anything takes time, but the quickest way to create one word titles that form sentences to create a tool to help recall it all. The third and final step is simple. Practice, practice, practice. “The best thing you can do for yourself is to keep learning and studying.” Now you may be thinking, That's it. No, it all comes down to your will to learn. “Without the pressure that was caused because of the final exam, I would never have mastered the art of memorization.”

 But what did he get on the final you may ask, 76 percent. Three weeks of studying to get a 76, but how. His attachment to figuring out how to memorize information all started because of that test. Wolfer spent so much time and did so poorly that he spent the next three years learning the way to shortcutting the study process. 

Now sitting here today, it only takes him two nights to get any topic engraved into the brain. “I have never done so little work to get perfect scores in my life.” Now, you have the power too, you can use this as you please, but remember, it all comes down to your will to learn.


The author's comments:

This piece is to all those students who struggle to study and take in information.