Cal Martin: Expert at Fighting Games | Teen Ink

Cal Martin: Expert at Fighting Games

February 13, 2024
By Trop GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Trop GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Being an expert at anything is not easy, but for Cal Martin, fighting games come firsthand. Martin has obtained a supreme ability in reaction time, one can only hope to gain this over time. There are things you can do to build this ability like the use of patience. Martin himself has said “Patience in learning is virtue” and in fighting games this can't be more true. Being able to read your opponent and learn their moves is one of the most important things you can do in this field. Once you have learned your opponent's way of fighting, you then control the fight.

Time is something else that people will question. Going back to what we said about patience, Martin himself has said that for the average person to become in the top 10% in their category, you must spend at least 15 hours. With this time you spent in certain categories you can use these newfound skills to help you in other games. Time can only tell how much you will succeed. Baseline is something that builds over time and according to Martin, this can be used for more than just fighting video games.

One thing that most people would not tend to think of in this field is diet. Martin during his tournaments Martin keeps his diet normal, nothing special. In Martin’s own words “Why eat something different than you usual, it can throw you off your game”. He also recommends cutting caffeine and focusing more on your sleep to optimize your performance.


The author's comments:

Fighing games expert