Paige Schleicher and Empathy | Teen Ink

Paige Schleicher and Empathy

February 14, 2024
By Chloemm SILVER, Ixonia, Wisconsin
Chloemm SILVER, Ixonia, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Empathy: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. This is a valuable trait and a virtuous practice for everyone. “Empathy is good because it allows us to grow closer in our relationships with friends and family,” said Paige Schleicher when asked why empathy is important to her. Paige has practiced empathy since pre-school and continues to try and use empathy in her day-to-day life: something she learned from her parents. Paige has shared four tips on how you can show empathy to others. 

Number one is to become a better listener. Many times, people just need someone to listen in order to understand them, and you can’t begin to empathize if you aren’t listening to their circumstances in the first place. Being a strong listener also means to not interrupt someone and avoid adding your own opinions, even if you’re just trying to be helpful. 

Next is to learn to not judge someone based on their experiences. Just because someone has experienced something unusual or traumatic, this doesn’t mean you should treat them any differently after learning this information. Not only is this ignorant but it might also make the person who told you this upset and regretful of telling you. 

Thirdly is to ask people about their feelings. There are some people who are afraid to share their feelings and don’t want to bother others with their problems, so asking someone how they are doing can allow you to empathize with people who might not have otherwise reached out to you. On the other hand, some people don’t want to share their feelings at all and you shouldn’t force them to. Being empathetic relies on understanding that not everyone wants to share. 

Lastly, try remembering when you felt the same. Putting yourself into someone else’s shoes is the best way to fully empathize with someone. It is also possible that you can’t relate to someone, which is ok. When you realize you can’t empathize with someone, it is best to just comfort them in the ways that you can and not try to relate an experience of yours that doesn’t compare: this can be offensive. 

With these tips, you can begin to be a better empathizer with those around you and overall a more righteous person. If you haven’t been practicing empathy, it’s never too late to try: you never know when someone may need it. 


The author's comments:

This is an interview with a friend and good classmate on empathy.