New Teachers | Teen Ink

New Teachers

August 22, 2012
By arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado
arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado
44 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never judge a book by its cover"


Teachers, the ones who help us, students, succeed; but who are our teachers really? The new teachers, at least, who don’t know as much about our school, should be welcomed into this great, educational community with open arms and get to know who they are and what they think of this school so far.

Three of our new teachers, Mr. Ford, Ms. Dunn and Ms. Redferd, I decided to interview to get their point of view. Lets meet our new teachers!

Mr. Ford, a new math teacher, and new to our valley, gave me his thoughts.

Where are you from?

“I am from Grand Rapids, Michigan.”

What did you major in?

“I majored in Civil Engineering as a Bachelor degree and Spanish as a Masters.”

Why did you choose to teach Math?

“The Engineering has math and languages are using the left brain and math is using the right brain. I also teach one class which half of the students are Spanish speakers so I teach half the class in Spanish.”

What do you think of the school culture?

“I think it is really good and really important. I want the school to do the best it can.”

What are you looking forward to the most the year?

“I am looking forward to getting to know all the students. See them do well in the sports. And in the long run, two years or so, hope they get into college and become successful.”

Finally, what do you think of the students and faculty here?

“I like it here, I think it’s a cool school. The students are hard working and interested in math. The teachers are really nice and helpful.They are also totally cool. I like the mountains and I think I want to stay here.”

One of his students said, “He tries but he’s new like all the new teachers.”

Oscar said, “He’s good, he knows what he is doing. He should get more involved so he can connect more with the kids. Because some kids don’t know him very well, they get out of control.”


Most of us know Ms. Dunn from the previous years of when she substituted different classes. Instead of being a part-time teacher, she is now a full time teacher and so excited she gets to see us everyday.
Where are you from?
“I am from Puebll West, Colorado. Born in Colorado; I am a native.”
Do you enjoy the one subject you teach? How many do you teach?
“I enjoy helping students in every subject, because it’s like a refresher course into the things I have forgotten over the years. I would have to say that my favorite subjects to teach or assist in are English and FAD. English would be my first pick because it is the subject I fell in love with as a child and the subject I majored in during college. My second choice, FAD is extremely interesting to learn about and help out in. I enjoy listening to the students understanding of our government and their opinions on current events.”

What was your experience substituting high school students?
“I got to know everyone. Their first name, last name, and nickname. I also got to know how the students learn, what the boundaries are. All the students were very respectful to me as a substitute teacher.”
What is it like now being a full time teacher and working with the students and faculty?
“I get to see the students everyday and there is more consistency. I get to know them better than when I was substituting. I’ve been here for years so its easier for me. The faculty is awesome as well as the students.”
What do you think of the school culture?
“Its improved a lot this year. All the students are a lot more enthused.”
What are you looking forward to the most this year?
“I am looking forward to watching the students grow as mature individuals and see them graduate. Watching the students succeed throughout the years and celebrating their accomplishments is a great joy to me.”
One of her students said, “She’s okay. She helps kids when they need it and follows the lesson plan. She is strict but overall she is okay.”

Lauren Redfern is the P.E. teacher this year also coaching all girls sports. Let’s get to know her a little better.
Where are you from?
“I was born in Aspen, and raised here.”
Do you enjoy teaching here?
“It’s a really new experience for me and I enjoy teaching high schoolers.”
What do you think of the students and faculty?
“They are very unique. The school has a fun environment and the people here are nice.”
Why you choose to teach P.E.?
“I love being active and love athletics. I’ve found a lot of success teaching athletics.”
What do you think of the school culture?
“I think the school is rebuilding the school spirit. Hopefully we can make it apparent.”
What are you looking forward to the most this year?
“I want to survive this year. I can’t wait for the Basketball season!!!!”
Mayte said, “She’s cool. She makes us work hard.”


Well, there you have it. These are a great group of new teachers that will definitely help us succeed this year and the years to come.