Interview with Computer Programmer Mike S. | Teen Ink

Interview with Computer Programmer Mike S.

When I began to think of someone to interview about their occupation my dad was the first person that came to my mind. Mike S. has been a computer programmer since graduation from collage. He has worked for several companies. He has worked for the gas company Nicor and is currently working for Nalco. He has worked as a computer programmer for nineteen years.

1. When did you decide you wanted to be a computer programmer?

During my senior year in high school I took a real interest in computers and computer programming. At that time I decided I wanted to study computers more in college and make it a career.

2. What type of education do you need to have to become a computer programmer?

Most employers who are looking for software developers require applicants to have a 4 year college degree.

3. Why did you choose to be a computer programmer?

In elementary and high school I always took a special interest in science and math. It was natural for me to expand my interest by pursuing a career in computer science. I have always enjoyed applying logic to solve problems. Computers gave me a chance to do that on a regular basis.

4. Are there a lot of jobs available for a person in your field of work?

Yes, for the past several years, there has been a high demand for people with a computer science background.

5. What is the average salary for someone in your field of work?

The salary range for people in the computer industry varies widely. Salaries are dependent upon an individuals experience and skill set, such as, database administrator, network administrator, programmer/analyst or project manager. Salaries within these disciplines can range from $50,000 to $120,000.

6. Are there any special requirements that a person needs to be able to work as a computer programmer?

There are really no special requirements needed to become a computer programmer. Although, having a high level of organizational skills and a logical approach to solving problems are characteristics that would definitely help someone become a successful computer programmer.

7. Do you think your job is important in keeping the company you work for in business?

Yes, as a senior member within our development group, I am responsible for developing new software products for our company to sell. I also am responsible for supporting some of the company's web assets. The company's internet site and e-commerce sites are import sales channels.

8. What do you know now about your job that you did not know when you started your career?

In college we studied a great deal of math and computer theory. We did not study project management. In my current position I am responsible for software development and project management. Our company has a department who's main focus is to oversee and audit software development projects. As a project manager, I am responsible for maintaining and presenting detailed project plans to this group. That is not something we studied in school.

on Jun. 17 2013 at 6:38 am
Various people in all countries receive the business loans in different banks, because that is comfortable.

Hartja said...
Are you serious? People who are involved in coding and programing are successful in life. It's taking math and algorithims to a new level. You know the website you are on? Any website you ever go on? Made by coding. You know the games you play? The phones you use? The social sites you post on? Coding! Without coding, there would be no technology.

Think before posting mate.

Do you idiots really not have anything better to do?... Life Fail.

US Marines said...
I kiled you.  Leave

I will find all of you buttmunchers

fgbgfb said...
fgbfgbfgbgbnoobdakjsdlksjdhatejklnlnk

noob above said...
YOU'RE the noob. D:<

Marty said...
noob above :)