Sophomore Travels the World | Teen Ink

Sophomore Travels the World

“It was a trip of a lifetime,” says High School sophomore Jenny. She traveled to Italy, France, and Greece through a program called People-to-People.

This program selects students every year to travel out of the United States and experience bigger and better things. The students earn 12 college credits for going on the trip. When going, the students go on informational tours, stay with families, and learn about different cultures.

“I got recommended by teachers and coaches to get the opportunity to go on this trip,” says Jenny.

People-to-People gets recommendations from teachers at high school. When they receive these letters, they then choose a select few they think would be a perfect fit for this type of opportunity.

To go on a trip like this, you have to pay for every expense yourself. She said, “It was a lot of money, 7,000 dollars. I told my relatives about what I was doing and they sent me money in the mail. Other than that, I didn’t really fundraise. But getting money from my relatives helped a lot and my dad mostly paid for it,” says Fischer.

When going out of the country, People-to-People felt it was a good idea for the students to stay with a family that lives there.

Jenny says, “I stayed with a family in Italy, they were very friendly, had good food, and it was my favorite place I visited. I want to go back to Venice, to live there one day.”

She stayed out of the country for two weeks.

“If I can, I would love to go back and maybe even study abroad.”