Before, During and After the Interview | Teen Ink

Before, During and After the Interview MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

      For a week before my interview with Sir and Lady Galway, I was thinking, Wow, I better not mess this up. The week was pretty stressful because I had just arrived from Iowa to study at a performing arts high school here in Massachusetts. I kept wondering what would happen if I spaced out or called Sir Galway the wrong name. The night before, I set my alarm an hour early but I didn't need to since I was wide awake and incredibly nervous.

I made sure I looked nice and then waited for my ride, which was super late! When I finally got in the van, I debated whether I would be late and have to call Kate Dunlop Seamans and Stephanie Meyer, my Teen Ink contacts. I fell asleep and woke up in front of the radio station where the Galways would be performing before our interview. As it turns out, I was 15 minutes early.

I sat in the lounge and the receptionist asked if I needed anything. I said I was there to interview Sir James Galway and he had no idea what I was talking about. Suddenly I thought I was in the wrong place and started to freak out. Just then another high-school girl walked in holding a flute. I realized it was Hannah, the other interviewer, which comforted me. We introduced ourselves and just then Kate and Stephanie arrived. They looked really nice. After that I wasn't nervous anymore, just happy to be there.

Soon we were ushered into the studio where we would listen to Sir James and Lady Jeanne play live on the radio. It was fabulous! I couldn't stop smiling, I was so happy. And then my stomach rumbled. I'd been so nervous that I'd forgotten to eat breakfast! I was really embarrassed because Hannah and Stephanie both heard and looked at me. It kept rumbling and I was so worried that my stomach would interrupt the broadcast that I got nervous again.

When the show was over we went to a conference room to prepare for the interview. I'm not going to lie, talking to Kate, Stephanie and Hannah before the interview totally calmed me down.

Then Sir James and Lady Jeanne walked in and the butterflies returned, but we had our questions ready. Thank goodness I wasn't asking the first question because I would have messed up.

The interview went really well. Lady Jeanne answered a lot of questions that had to do with their life and more social things. Sir James had more answers for the music questions. Both were super nice to us and I learned so much from them. They told us stories about their high school days and it was nice to know that famous people have normal lives too. They went through a lot to get where they are now. I realized that if you really have a dream or goal in life and set your mind to it, you can achieve it. The interview was definitely an experience I'm not going to forget.