Nicolette and Stereoptypes | Teen Ink

Nicolette and Stereoptypes

March 5, 2009
By Brittany Lang BRONZE, Westland, Michigan
Brittany Lang BRONZE, Westland, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I interviewed my friend Nicolette because we both get labeled and stereotyped. It has gotten so hard to be a kid these days. I wanted to talk about emo and stereotypes because nobody likes to get judged before you know them. It is not a good feeling when somebody doesn't like you because you dress or look a certain way or listen to a certain type of music. Everybody deserves a chance.

Q: 'What do you think about emo?'
A: 'I think it's the best thing ever and I hate when people diss it when they don't know what it means.'
Q: 'What does emo mean to you?'
A: 'A lot. It's a style; it symbolizes emotion, not depression. It's a genre of music and a way to express individuality. It's a way to say 'I'm different and I'm proud.'
Q: 'How do you feel about music getting blamed for suicide and depression?'
A: 'I feel like; if you don't like the music, just don't listen to it. Do something else with your time. If you have a problem, you need to work it out. Talk to someone. But you can't blame music for people's problems.'
Q: 'Okay, what are your opinions on depression? Most emo kids aren't depressed.'
A: 'I believe it's something based on who you are and what your life has been like. Not just emo and Goth kids get depressed. Just leave them alone!'
Q: 'How do you feel about suicide?'
A: 'It's a terrible thing. It's tragic and sad. But it's based on what you've gone through. Sometimes you can stop it, but sometimes you can't. It all depends on the person.'
Q: 'What do you think of stereotypes?'
A: 'I hate stereotypes, but everybody does it. Sometimes you just can't help it.'
Q: 'A lot of people think emo and goth are the same. Do you want to explain how they're different?'
A: 'Emo is so much different. I don't know much about goth, but the way we dress and act is different. Emo's can be happy! No offense, but I've never met a happy goth.'
Q: 'It seems like out of all the cliques, emo is beneath all of the other groups. Do you know why?'
A: 'Emo kids get picked on more because we're different. Kids hate kids who are different than them. It's like, 'you're different, and so we hate you.'.'
Q: 'A lot of people think emos like to cut themselves. What do you have to say about that?'
A: 'Cutting is disgusting. It's sickening. If you cut, you really need to get help. Talk to someone.'
Q: 'We have lives, right? We like to have fun! So what do you do in your free time?'
A: ' I do a lot of stuff. I write songs, poems, and stories. I hang out with my friends- mostly you. Music is also a really big part of my life and I like to sing.'
Q: 'Anything else you'd like to add, Nikki?'
A: 'Bottom line is: emos don't cut. Live your life and leave others be. Emo kids can be happy, 'cause I'm an obnoxious dork! I'm not sad! And that's all I have to say.'

The author's comments:
Emo is a little bit like a goth, but ALOT less dark. There is no exact definition of emo, it means something different to everyone. I personally believe it is short for emotional. Depression and suicide are very serious issues. If you or someone you know is dealing with either one, get help.