The Interview | Teen Ink

The Interview

By Brandongarzaofficial SILVER, Hemet, California
Brandongarzaofficial SILVER, Hemet, California

Yesterday was my first interview, I'm 16 and have no prior experience with this kinda stuff. And it's kinda scary, I mean sure to the regular adults it’s normal but to people like me, its new, terrifying, and nobody really teaches you how do go thru it.

My family and I were walking out of a, mainly, clothing store to see a new store was opening up next door. There was balloons and some tables out on the front, being the curious boy-man I am I went to go give it a look. Tuners out it was a job hiring fair. I decided to delve myself in to find for information on it, there was a line so I just stood waiting for the feet of people to, slowly, move forward all ordered and neat. As I waited my heart began to pulsate, my blood because to pump at the speed of little lightning bolts, I mean it was just a little information table about hiring, so I thought.

When I get to the man he informs me that this is not just an information table but, and interviewing one. So instead of leaving like a buffoon out of fear of not being prepared, I sit and allow the interview to take place, my first. I swear when I sat there time slowed down, my brain began to scatter, thought on being unprepared flew thru my brain, my leg began to shake, I mean why was it such a big deal; later realizing that well i've never been introduced to this type of stuff. After a long breathe he began and I had a choice; I could either let my anxiety over run me or just be myself. And luckily I choose to be myself, though i've never been in this situation on an interview, I new the best thing to do was to just be me; so I did, next thing I knew I began to feel less anxious, I let myself answer his persitioned-crafted questions. Then the next day, today, I got the call that I got the job.

I know that my sound strange, to choose to be myself, but when you stop to think, everyone puts up a front depending on their location. As my English teacher once told me “there's a you at school and a you at home”, and boy I wish it was that black and white, sometimes we can get mixed up in all the “ yous’ ” when it comes to entering this new territory because you don't know anything about it. So why am I writing this, well I'm here to tell you that when it comes to an interview (or even a new terian) the best thing you a can do is just, be you.

I was never told how to be in an interview, or how it felt, so i hope this helps at least one person out