The Right Decision | Teen Ink

The Right Decision

January 20, 2009
By Anonymous

Dear Mrs. McCalla,

Let me just start off by saying, that texting on my phone is my hardcore obsession. Within the first few weeks I had gotten my phone, I sent 1,154 text messages causing my phone to completely crash from memory overload. Though signing me up for “Texting Anonymous” or some other support group for my addiction did cross my parents’ minds, they concluded with just taking texting off my phone two summers ago. That, I can honestly say was one the hardest things for me to deal with. I felt like part of my soul was missing. But little did I know, when my old best friend returned as my birthday present this year, it turned into my worst enemy.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s not an ounce of me that wonders if it would be better to have it taken off for a second time, but see with my parent’s, there’s no messing around. If I screw this one up, texting and I will have our final good bye.

So there I was Tuesday night, just innocently plowing through my homework when my eyes happened to wander over to my night stand where my lifeless phone lays. It was just begging to be turned on! Oh how my fingers twitched with the need to glide over the keyboard in deep conversation with my friends! What’s a girl to do?
Now if it would have just stopped there, I probably could’ve pulled myself out of it. But then the phone comes to life again which was surprising due to the fact that I thought it was turned off, so I get up to go look at what was going on. The twitching returns to my fingers when the screen reveals a text message from my boyfriend. I’d wanted to talk to him very much all night and couldn’t, but now, I have the perfect opportunity. All I would have to do is touch the view now button and an amazing conversation would begin. My hand slowly approaches, then hovers above the phone only to be drawn back to me when a little light bulb goes off in my head. What is warmer to pleasing your parent’s and being rewarded with more trust? Is letting the phone of Satin consume me, or taking on my weakness and waiting until I’m done with homework? Although this one’s a no-brainer, it still takes me a second to decide.
I came to the conclusion to take on my weakness and wait, which was indeed an exciting victory for me, but I couldn’t take the credit for this one! You were the reason that little light bulb went off, Mrs. McCalla! So I thought I’d share this experience with you, and thank you for the “Am I getting warmer or colder?” technique. If I ever get interviewed for my outstanding judgment later in my life, I’ll give a shout of to Eighth Grade English Teacher! 
Sincerely,

Kelsee B.