Two Simple Letters | Teen Ink

Two Simple Letters

By alh218 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
alh218 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Anna.

Two simple letters repeated twice. A, authentic. N, naive. N, necessary. A, aspired. Two all knowing letters making up the name which I call my own. A name signifying the naivety of childhood and prolonging authenticity as one grows. Longing to be needed and aspiring to be truly great, one day. 

My name means grace. Something it is longing to live up to. Simple elegance. But it also means favor. Though, it owes no favor. It favors only the two simple letters of the alphabet that make it whole. 

Looking back at my name in my childhood reminded me of youthful and alive blue. The light blue of the sky, the cobalt blue on stained glass windows and the aqua shade of a lake in the summertime. But, my name truly reminds me of peach. The light orange shades and subtle red. The true orange glow of the sun. Slight red shades of crimson. 

My name is not inherited. Nor do I wish it was. I am the first in the family with my name, now able to start a family name of my own. Leaving my name as a footprint for future generations to take. Or not take. To allow them to create their own. 

Simple, not basic. Effortless, but polished. Not rare. Not overused. Anna. 

This piece is about a name, which I call my own.