A Trip with My Dad | Teen Ink

A Trip with My Dad

By Chand1erW3lls BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado
Chand1erW3lls BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado

“Look, I just caught another one!” i yell to my dad 

It was an early morning with low clouds and cold refreshing mountain air. My Dad whispers to me quietly “Hey, wake up it's time to eat.” I get out of my warm sleeping bag and a cold breeze quickly pulls me to the fire where i cook eggs in a small tin, when im done cooking them these are some of the best eggs i've eaten with there smokey accents to the cheesy inside and the honey smoked bacon we smoked before we got up to the camping spot. I tell my dad with my mouth full of hot eggs “these are so good we should make them for mom and Emily when we come back.” 

After my dad and I ate breakfast we headed down to a small old town up near the campsite it smelt like old fire wood and it looked like it had been there for a while. “Hey, do you want to go look around?” My dad asks me interested in my response. I tell him “Sure it looks pretty cool.” I am also interested in what the town might have in it or what we might find. As we head towards the town we see the old buildings with cracks sprinkled throughout them and overgrown weeds crawling up the walls. Only a few stores are open but we decided to check them out anyway. I'm excited when I see a store that has car memorabilia so I ask my dad. “Hey, can we go in there? It looks cool as hell.” He can see the excitement in my face and says with a smirk on his face “Sure, I think it looks pretty cool too.” As we enter the store the smell of old oil and gas is strong. I love it I race ahead of my dad and look around at all the cool stuff including rare old cars. My dad calls out to me loudly “look at this Chandler this ford is pulled apart the body is hanging above its frame.” I almost ran over to him. I was so excited to see it. “Damn, that's cool as hell.” I am almost yelling im so excited. 

After we leave there we head back towards the campsite and decide to go fishing, so we grab our fishing poles and load up all of our fishing gear into the truck. My dad tells me in a quiet excited voice “i found a new fishing spot, It's secluded from everybody and it's supposed to have some big fish but it's sort of a hike up. Do you want to go there or the other lake?” I'm clearly interested in seeing this spot and catching big fish so I say “yeah that sounds cool.” So we head up to this spot, it takes a little while but it's beautiful going up with all of the lush bushes and trees and the random tiny waterfalls engraved into the mountain.

When we pull up to the trail to go up to the spot I see that we are going up to the top of the mountain. I become antsy at the thought of how nice it's going to be at the top fishing with my dad. Once we finally reach a spot we can park, I get out and grab our fishing poles and the net while my dad grabs the fishing gear and cooler. I started hiking towards the lake with the poles and when we finally got to the lake we saw big dark thunderclouds coming in. My dad asks me “Should we head back to camp? it looks like it's going to rain.”  I told him that I think we should just because we left our jackets in the car, so we headed back to the truck and when we finally got back we turned the truck on and started driving. Then the rain started and it was pouring. When we got to the start of the trail we decided that since the lake doesn't have anybody and we hadn't caught fish yet that we should just head back and try anyway. So when we got to the lake again we saw fish jumping out of the water left and right. I grabbed my fishing pole and when i started walking over i could feel all the cool mud squishing under my feet almost seeping into my shoe. Finally, i cast the line and in a minute I already had a bite I yelled to my “Dad look I got one on the line already!” and he yelled back “I did too!” We caught about 10 fish in 15 minutes. “Look, I caught another one!” i yell to my dad 

One of my favorite things to do is go camping and fishing because the scenery and air is so refreshing. camping is calm and usually peaceful, matched up with fishing its a perfect way to spend time with or without people.