American Born Chinese | Teen Ink

American Born Chinese

May 25, 2010
By poppy_lin GOLD, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
poppy_lin GOLD, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
13 articles 0 photos 26 comments

I am American, yet for some reason, Buddha made me Chinese and unpopular. I could’ve had the time of my life, being blonde and beautiful and being a cheerleader at football games, while wearing Hollister and Gucci. Instead I am being myself, Lin Wang. I do admit, being foreign and fascinating has the benefits. Speak something foreign in front of some dumb blondes and you get a swarm of admirers for about two minutes. Then it kind of disappears. But not that I feel self pity of any sort (a little but that’s it) but it’s nice if people weren’t d-bags and prejudiced, so they can actually listen to me. Will that happen? Presumably not.

“Just love that outfit Lin! I mean omigosh where did you get that?” Smirking in front of my flat profile, Jackie Winters was observing my modest Bloomingdale’s blouse, skinny jeans and converse. “I mean, of course it’s not, like, Gucci or, like Chanel, but it’s just so cute!” Again there was her trademark sneer/smirk. I gently reply: “Of course. I mean, why would I wear those kind of clothes? Because I don’t want to look like a freaking s***. Like you, you know?” I smile sweetly, amazed at my comebacks. (They have gotten a lot better than: “Just because!” and other euphoria worthy comments.) She stared at me as if I were something from another planet (which I technically am…) She then walked back to her entourage and snuck a few poison candy glances at me. I sighed and ignored their undeniable annoying whispers.
The mental abuse goes on after lunch.
“Go back to your freaking native country you freaking immigrant!” Josh Rosher shouts at me, using instead a more inadequate word than “freaking”.
“I would, but wait a second! I was flipping born here!” I volleyed right back. This is what I go through everyday, so I’m used to it. But sometimes it does hurt. Anyway, I went on to blabber on about how I am a legal citizen, Josh just walked away, laughing with his cocky friends.
I run to the bathroom right before French.
I stare at myself through the bathroom mirror, hoping something inside it would engulf my troubles and worries and let it all disappear. Instead I take off my glasses and look at myself. And just really look. I didn’t diss my hair, nose or skinniness this time, I just felt a sense of amazed relief, that still at the end of the day, I was Lin Wang.


The author's comments:
This is a story based on myself, but with different names. I hope someone out there can relate to my experiences!