Memoir to Pops | Teen Ink

Memoir to Pops

By Melanie_Rose GOLD, Easley, South Carolina
Melanie_Rose GOLD, Easley, South Carolina

“I’m selfish, impatient, and insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times, hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you don’t deserve me at my best.”
- Marilyn Monroe

The most amazing man I ever knew was a man that went by Pops. He was the most caring man who'd give you the shirt off of his back if you didn't have anything. He had the biggest heart in the world, and every time he met another person it would grow bigger to make room to love them. He judged no one for there mistakes because he knew that everyone made them.
I remember one time him and Uncle Boyd were out of town doing some work and you saw this homeless man walking down the street. Of course, being the sweetheart of a man you are, you stopped and picked him up. It was freezing and you knew he had to be hungry, so you took him to a restaurant to eat. Uncle Boyd gave him his jacket,and when y'all were done he thanked you and went to the restroom. You guys waited on him to come out, but after a while of him not coming out y'all went to check on him.
He was gone, there were no windows in the bathroom and he'd never came out. Uncle Boyd's jacket was on the floor, but the man was gone. Where did he go? I think he was an angel, sent from God to see who was one of his true children. Yes, of course you two would help him. And that's why he disappeared, because he had to go back to God after your good deed.
I also remember how you used to hide our barbie dolls in your shop to make us think you took them to play with them. And you'd tease yourself with us to make us laugh. You always smiled, always. And then you'd always call me "Pretty-girl", I never failed to smile at it either. I can't say I don't miss it, because not a day goes by that I don't crave to hear it.
I think back to when you'd pour me some coffee in my little tiny coffee cup just because I said I wanted to be like you. It made you smile. You were such an amazing Papa, and I can't imagine how I would have turned out without you.
Then it came time for you to go, and I didn't come see you like I should've. I talked to you on the phone once, and it wasn't nearly long enough. I started crying as soon as I heard it. "Hey pretty-girl!" I started squalling my eyes out, and you soothed me. I knew you'd be leaving soon, and so did you.
I flash back to when you told me you'd install a telephone pole in Heaven that way you could call me. You said that you'd only be a phone call away. I knew it was impossible, but I still cried at it. Because I knew how much I would miss you.
Now it's been almost two whole years without you. I hate that you won't get to see me walk across the stage and get my diploma in person. But I know you'll be there, holding my hand while I make you proud. And I'll be crying and I know just what you'd say, "It's okay pretty-girl. I'm so proud of you! You did it!"
I love you Papa.
R.I.P.

This is about my Papa. He was a great man. You would've loved to meet him!<3