Gravitation | Teen Ink

Gravitation

July 4, 2013
By Nehan BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
Nehan BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
3 articles 13 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"See you in another life brother." -Desmond (LOST)

"Growing up means watching my heroes turn into humans right in front of me."

"The tragedy of life is not death, but what we let die inside of us while we live." -Norman Cousins


When I was a kid, I believed in sunsets and called them God. I had nicknames for the sunrise, too. Sometimes it was heaven, sometimes it was hell. I hated waking up early in the morning, but the beauty of the sky was worth every breath I'd ever breathe.

Daily routines? They weren't my thing. I believed in adventures, I believed in kaleidoscopes. Everything was different from every angle. And that was how I saw the world. The earth was never round, but it was never square. I might not have known what gravity was, but I knew everything was held together by threads of air. I guess that was enough to let me know I'd be planted to the ground. But the first airplane I ever flew on, confused me to the point that curiosity was shaking inside my bones. I asked my father why the threads of air didn't work in the sky, and daddy mentioned something about a man named Bernoulli and his Principal. I didn't much care for the story because I got lost at the part where dad explained something about high and low air pressure.

My mother told me about war one time, and how people fight for our country. I was scared of war. I realized sunrises were only heaven, and that war was actually hell.

Then I always use to wonder how I would grow up. Would I be tall like dad, or tiny like mom? I thought maybe, that we all grew up by rotating the kaleidoscope. When we saw things from different point of views, we would grow an inch or two. So I decided I'd never look at anything from another angle, I was scared to grow up and pay the bills. Mother said only adults pay the bills, and bills seemed like a lot to handle. I decided that was something mother could do for the rest of her life. Peter Pan was my favorite movie, mostly because I thought of all the joy I'd find when I left the world behind and bid all my cares goodbye. I'd always sing that song.

I loved to sing. I loved to dance. I loved to pray to something I couldn't see and believe it was real. I believed in God with all my heart because I knew he'd keep mom and dad safe if anything ever happened to them. I don't know if batman believed in God, but if he did, he had a great reason to. God would keep his parents safe too.

When I grew up, I thought I knew who my greatest love was. But I searched forever, waiting for him because he said he'd be there waiting for me. He was never there, and I never found a place called "forever". I guess I didn't look hard enough, or maybe he got lost too. After that I realized love was for people who couldn't live without each other. I guess my mom and dad were my greatest loves. I'm not really sure, but I think I know what it means now.

Growing old wasn't too bad, and gravity was a concept I later grasped on to. I still believe in God now, but there were days where I'd question my beliefs. I guess it made my faith stronger. I guess a lot of things made me stronger. Maybe it was because even after the sun set, I believed heaven would arrive in the morning.


The author's comments:
Hope is so beautiful, it might as well be my second love.