Slow Is The Way To Go | Teen Ink

Slow Is The Way To Go

December 9, 2013
By dementedkush BRONZE, Cadillac, Michigan
dementedkush BRONZE, Cadillac, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

How many times can a person admit, without lying, about a time in their lives where they have, or had, experienced a time viewed in slow-motion? I had lived through a time like this. Should I have been scared?



When I was younger, maybe six years of age, I lived with my grandparents. The house wasn’t big, nor was it small. The living room was fairly large; spacious. Past the living room were three rooms- three bedrooms and a bathroom. There was a bar in the kitchen, a backdoor, and stairs leading to the basement. The basement was separated by two rooms; a small living area and the laundry room.



I was home alone, or so I thought - I have no idea if I truly was. I was in the basement playing Pokémon Stadium on the Nintendo 64. I was pretty bored, it was warm outside, but my mom had brainwashed me when I was even younger. Anyway, I was playing in the basement, hungry as I usually am, but too lazy to get up. I was pretty lazy as a child; so into my game to where I wouldn’t even want to get up to use the bathroom, until I could no longer hold it.



This was to happen yet again, and I had waited to use the bathroom until I had a valid point in my game to pause. Not able to get back to my game, I paused and darted up the stairs. The next thing I know I’m upside down – falling in slow-motion. It fell as if I were falling for hours. Then suddenly I felt nothing… could see nothing.. It felt as though a long time had passed. I crack open my eyes. No one’s there. Black surrounds me yet again. I crack my eyes after what felt like another hour. This time my entire family surrounds me, but everything was a blur. After a while they helped me up, and I was fine. The strangest thing though, is that I no longer had to use the bathroom, nor had I emptied my bladder…



It is important to take things slowly. I could have potentially died; the fall was about eight feet, or so. Don’t get into a rush, be patient; it is better to be slow than to be dead. Besides, if you go too fast in life you could miss something, and that something may be important. I feel lucky to be here today. Looking back at that day, for a six year old, that was a long way to fall.


The author's comments:
I don't really know what sparked me to write this. I can say, however, that this incident still confuses me to this day, and felt that this incident has somehow influenced my life today... although I'm not entirely sure how. Hopefully, by publishing this work, I may find out why.