The Ruby Run | Teen Ink

The Ruby Run

February 19, 2015
By jean01 BRONZE, Tulalip, Washington
jean01 BRONZE, Tulalip, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

          I was running as fast as I could and once I looked back, all I could see was Shaliyah and Jaydon with terrified faces. We all were screaming and running like we were being chased by zombies. My heart pumped fast as my legs were moving like a cheetahs. I felt as if my legs were going to tumble at any second to be left as food for Ruby.
          One afternoon, Shaliyah, Jaydon and I were sitting on the cold hard, wooden steps of grandma’s house. It was a nice July day where the skies were clear so the sun shined bright. We heard my mom and grandmas voices from inside of the house shouting, “Lunch is ready!” As we started to stand, Shaliyah said, “What is that?” we then looked where her finger pointed to see down the steep driveway, something grey.
“I think it’s a dog?” Jaydon replied, with a confused look on his face.
“Come on, kids” mom called. After lunch was finished, we all heard a noisy barking. We stood in silence listening for more. “It must be that dog we saw,” Jaydon said.
“What dog?” Grandma asked. Then we heard barking again.
“That dog.”  I replied. “Were going to go see it” I told mom.
“No, Shayla.” Mom said, “It’s not our dog and he might be dangerous.”
“I promise we’ll be careful, mom, please?”  I tried to tell her, but-
“No, I don’t want you kids getting hurt.”
“Yeah, maybe we should listen to your mom, Shayla.” Shaliyah said.
“Okay, fine we wont,” I said, turning around and winking at Jaydon, hoping he would understand. “Come on, Shaliyah,” Jaydon said.
          We went out the back door to sneak like spies down the driveway so we could meet that dog. “What are we doing? Were not seeing that dog, are we?” Shaliyah said with a nervous look on her face.
“What do you think, Shaliyah?”  I said with sarcasm.
“I think these will be my last words.” Shaliyah said.
“Oh, stop, Shaliyah. Oh hey, I think that’s him over there!” Jaydon pointed. We found the grey pit-bull behind a shed and I saw a collar with a tag that read, ‘Ruby’.
          The dog then growled and barked viciously and we took off running as fast as we could! When we found and object to jump on, we did and I was hoping Ruby was not able to jump on top of mom’s car with us. As we sat on top of the car, with trouble of breathing because we were still petrified, we laughed like hyenas (my belly started to hurt) realizing how funny we must have looked. “If we need someone to blame, I choose Shayla!” Shaliyah shouted.
          After getting chased by a vicious dog, I was surprised to learn a pretty useful lesson. I didn’t listen to my mom and I knew what I did was wrong. “I was trying to keep you safe from that dog,” Mom said. She was right. I learned that I shouldn’t be selfish, I should have listen because Ruby was dangerous and I could’ve gotten hurt. It seems like more of a funny story, now, but in the moment, it was terrifying! I think the lesson I learned is important because there’s always a person who doesn’t listen. Then there’s always a time when the person learns they should have listened. What happened that day was not exactly a big lesson I learned, but it was my way of learning to be respectful.