I Tried | Teen Ink

I Tried

By Lovely-mess BRONZE, St. James, Minnesota
Lovely-mess BRONZE, St. James, Minnesota

Dear Daddy,

At five years old, I thought you were the best superhero to walk the earth. You were my teacher, my playmate and my #1 fan. You always said you were so proud with me.

I grew up a little and was walking down the carpeted path to 2nd grade. My little black graduation cap slid as I searched for your face. When the principal gave me my certificate tears welled in my eyes. You promised, Daddy. You promised me you'd be there. You lied.

Next thing you know and I'm in middle school. You missed my childhood and you promised to do better. I tried to believe you, but your promises were nothing but empty words. "I love you" was just something you said to cushion your lies. If you really loved me then why did you tell mom I was the worst mistake you had ever made? 

I tried to trust you, even though my heart was cracked and uneven from trying to glue it back together. I tried to love you, even though you told me many times you didn't love me. I tried to forgive you when the words "I hate you!" broke my heart. 

High school came and now you say you've changed. You wait for your little girl to run to you with open arms, but you are too late. You see, I learned that the only way to keep my heart together was a coat of plaster and a wall of bricks.

Mom tells me that you're trying to do better, but when she turns I  whisper, "Yeah, I tried too."