A Different Type of Christmas | Teen Ink

A Different Type of Christmas

December 16, 2016
By Lizzie0125 BRONZE, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Lizzie0125 BRONZE, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When I was younger, Christmas was the best day of the year. Everyone would squish in the car and we would drive around singing Christmas carols on the top of our lungs and looking at pretty Christmas light. This year was different.  I had just gone into the third grade. I had also just learned that Santa wasn't real. I was feeling very unsure about the information kids knew. Knowing Santa isn’t real is a huge responsibility. Feeling unsure about Santa, I was also unsure whether to believe if Krampus was real because he was definitely not one to mess with. I wasn't feeling the Christmas spirit. It was Christmas eve night and I was out like a light. Not even a little bit excited for Christmas.  I wake up to the blinding light of snow. I went downstairs and there were presents everywhere. I was so confused. No Santa, means not presents right? As I walked down the stairs, I saw a huge red box with a silver bow on it. It said “For Lizzie” in huge black letters. Then, out of nowhere the box started rattling and barking. I just knew that Krampus was in my box. I slowly took off the lid when a little white puff ball jumps out at me. A new puppy with more hair than body, and a bow around its neck. That year was different. I didn't need Santa. I needed a puppy.


The author's comments:

Lately, I havent't been feeling the Christmas Spirit. Then, I remembered that some years are harder than others and to remember to expect the unexpected.