Food Magic | Teen Ink

Food Magic

October 3, 2018
By Bunkwell SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Bunkwell SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Going to my grandparents’ house, is like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet that’s open for every meal of the day, which is six year old me’s dream. Waking up in the morning, I smell breakfast resting on the table starting my morning how my Grandparents, and especially I, want it too, with food.

This particular weekend was one when my grandpa made his classic for the first time, Rounds. When you think of that word you may think of a circular piece of a particular substance, or to pass and go around something. When I now think of “Rounds” I think of a nice crispy piece of toast, with the stomach cut out to leave room in the center for a cooked egg. The physics behind it left me confused. An egg, in between a piece of bread. I think about the science for a few seconds before I indulged into all the food on the table, leaving me full until dinner, but I couldn’t help but ask.

“Grandpa, how do you put an egg in the middle of a piece of toast?” Six-year-old me wondered.

“Magic,” My grandpa laughs.

My cooking skills and knowledge was severely lacking, but the thought of an egg in the middle of a piece of toast didn’t leave my mind the whole weekend.

Up until I received this recipe, I still do not know how it was done, even 12 years after asking. So all these years of asking how it’s done and them not telling me the answer, I finally found a way to get the recipe. Say it’s for a school project!