Sleeping In Class | Teen Ink

Sleeping In Class

By Toualee GOLD, Sacramento, California
Toualee GOLD, Sacramento, California

"If I don't have to do it, I won't do it. If I have to do it, make it quick."-Oreki Houtarou

We all have mistakes, well, I have one that I really regret and wished that I shouldn’t have done. I stay up late but only when I don’t have any school. I was trying so hard not to do it but I did it anyway, it was so embarrassing.

It was a cold morning but the sun was out so it feels low key warm. I be sleeping at like 2 or 3 in the morning reading manga till I knock out, during school days. When I woke up that day, probably one of the worst days of my life, I was hella tired and I didn’t even want to go to school that day. Why would I even go to school, it’s a**. But I went anyway, I sat at the back seat in the car while my dad drove me and my siblings to school.

In my first period it was horrible though, I didn’t fall asleep but I was about to. That day during my first period P.E. we didn’t do anything physical because we were learning the rules of bowling and we just sat down in the gym and listen. If we were doing physical things that day, my brain wouldn’t have been telling me to go to sleep. I was so tired that I laid myself on the dusty gym floor and my god it was horrible. My eyes were forcing to close on me and I was telling myself over and over “Don’t fall asleep, Don’t fall asleep.”

Finally, second period came, making my way there was like walking in a bright vision dream. I only got to the warm up when my eyes were closing and I was trying my best to keep it open. I was so tired that I wrote down random numbers as answers on my notebook. My eyes closed for a bit and I just let it be. A girl behind me shook me so I can wake up. When I woke up, I didn’t even know that I was sleeping and how long was I asleep. Everyone in the class had their eyes at me, the stare of “What happened?” I looked so stupid when I woke up and I was sleeping while sitting up, like an idiot.

“Are you okay Toua?” Mr. Scott asked with a look of confusion.

“I’m fine.” I said quietly with my eyes barely open.

Since that day, I always sleep early during school days because I don’t want to be tired like last time and sleeping in class either. That’s never going to happen to me again, this year’s going to be different than freshman year. Embarrassing myself in front of the whole class while looking stupid, now that’s a bad day. I learned that I’ll sleep early and at least drink some coffee or something to keep me from sleeping in class again.

What inspired me about this piece is that I was sleeping and was really tired.